Guass' Law (Conducting Cylinder)

In summary: Thanks for the help though. I really appreciate it.In summary, the problem involves two coaxial cylindrical conductors with different radii and charges. The goal is to find the x-component of the electric field at a given point. The attempt at a solution involves calculating the charge per unit length, performing an integral and solving for the electric field, and then multiplying by the cosine of the angle to get the x-component. The incorrect answer was initially obtained due to using an incorrect value for linear charge density, which was later corrected to get the correct answer. The online homework assignment caused frustration as it provided incorrect information.
mrshappy0

Homework Statement

Two coaxial cylindrical conductors are shown in perspective and cross-section above. The inner cylinder has radius a = 2 cm, length L = 10 m and carries a total charge of Qinner = + 8 nC (1 nC = 10-9 C). The outer cylinder has an inner radius b = 6 cm, outer radius c = 7 cm, length L = 10 m and carries a total charge of Qouter = - 16 nC (1 nC = 10-9 C). What is Ex, the x-component of the electric field at point P which is located at the midpoint of the length of the cylinders at a distance r = 4 cm from the origin and makes an angle of 30o with the x-axis?

Homework Equations

E∫dA=qenclosed

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so I found the charge per unit length (λ) which is Lguassσ. λ=0.8 nC. Then I performed the integral and solved for E to get E=qenclo/(2*Pi*ε*r*L). I wasn't sure how to get the x component though but figured it must be just E mag * Cos[theta] but this is wrong. Can anyone help me? I hope I showed enough work to get a response. I can double check my units and everything but I am pretty sure I converted everything to the proper units.

Physics news on Phys.org
mrshappy0 said:

Homework Statement

Two coaxial cylindrical conductors are shown in perspective and cross-section above. The inner cylinder has radius a = 2 cm, length L = 10 m and carries a total charge of Qinner = + 8 nC (1 nC = 10-9 C). The outer cylinder has an inner radius b = 6 cm, outer radius c = 7 cm, length L = 10 m and carries a total charge of Qouter = - 16 nC (1 nC = 10-9 C). What is Ex, the x-component of the electric field at point P which is located at the midpoint of the length of the cylinders at a distance r = 4 cm from the origin and makes an angle of 30o with the x-axis?

Homework Equations

E∫dA=qenclosed

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so I found the charge per unit length (λ) which is Lguassσ. λ=0.8 nC.
If ##\lambda## is charge per unit length, it should have units of C/m.

Then I performed the integral and solved for E to get E=qenclo/(2*Pi*ε*r*L).
What values did you use in the formula?

I wasn't sure how to get the x component though but figured it must be just E mag * Cos[theta] but this is wrong. Can anyone help me? I hope I showed enough work to get a response. I can double check my units and everything but I am pretty sure I converted everything to the proper units.
Please post the figure the problem is referring to.

coaxial_1.jpg

Opps I meant qenclosed =0.8nC

r=0.04m
1/(ε*Pi*2)=8.85*10^-12 N*m^2/C^2
L=10m

mrshappy0 said:
1/(ε*Pi*2)=8.85*10^-12 N*m^2/C^2
Is that what you really meant? ##\epsilon_0 = 8.85\times10^{-12}~\text{N m}^2\text{/C}^2## by itself.

1/(8.85*10^-12 (Pi)*2)=1.79836*10^10

Last edited:
Your work looks okay to me. What answer did you get?

35.8N/C but this is wrong...

Did you multiply by cos 30 since you only want the x-component?

Yes and still I had the wrong answer.

Well I multiplied 35.8 N/C by Cos(30deg)

What result did you get?

31.0028 n/c

It might just be rounding error or the number of significant figures. I get 31.1 N/C to three sig figs.

I actually entered the formula directly into the online homework thing. I just tried 31.1 N/C and still didn't work. I really dislike the way this homework is set up. Waste of time!

The OP needs to check his value for linear charge density; it could be that he's using a value that's 10x too small.

Yup, that's it. I grabbed 0.8 nC from one of your earlier posts, but the original problem said 8 nC.

Yeah thanks, I ended up figuring it out that it should be 8 not .8. This is very frusterating because the online homework assignment said that is was 0.8. So I wasted a lot of time due to that.

1. What is Gauss' Law and how does it apply to conducting cylinders?

Gauss' Law is a fundamental law of electromagnetism that relates the electric flux through a closed surface to the charge enclosed by that surface. In the case of a conducting cylinder, the electric flux through the surface is directly proportional to the charge enclosed by the cylinder.

2. How is a conducting cylinder different from other shapes when applying Gauss' Law?

A conducting cylinder is unique because it has an infinite length, meaning that the electric field is constant along its surface. This allows for a simplified calculation of the electric flux and charge enclosed, making it easier to apply Gauss' Law.

3. Can Gauss' Law be used to calculate the electric field inside a conducting cylinder?

No, Gauss' Law can only be used to calculate the electric field outside of a conducting cylinder. This is because the electric field inside the cylinder is zero, due to the fact that the charges within the cylinder are free to move and will redistribute themselves until the electric field is cancelled out.

4. How does the presence of a dielectric material inside a conducting cylinder affect Gauss' Law?

If a dielectric material is present inside the conducting cylinder, it will change the overall charge distribution within the cylinder. This will in turn affect the electric flux through the surface and the charge enclosed, altering the application of Gauss' Law.

5. What are some real-world applications of Gauss' Law for conducting cylinders?

Gauss' Law for conducting cylinders is commonly used in the design of capacitors, which are important components in electronic circuits. It is also used in the analysis of electric fields in cylindrical conductors, such as the wires used in power transmission lines. Additionally, Gauss' Law is used in the study of charged particles moving through magnetic fields, such as in particle accelerators.