Use Gauss' Law to find E-field, tricky problem

In summary, a nonconductive sheet of paper lies in the xz-plane such that the bottom edge (width) of the paper infinitesimally close to the edge of the cylinder from part (A) and has its width parallel to the axis of the cylinder. The paper has width, W, along the x-axis, and length, L, along the z-axis, and carries a non-uniform linear charge density ([z]-R) (again the [] represent abs value). What is the total force acting on the sheet of paper in terms of the given constants (a,b,R,w,ε0 and L)?
cookiemnstr510510

Homework Statement

A) use gauss's Law to determine the electric field at all values of radial distance (0<r<infinity) from the center of a non-uniformly charged cylinder that is very very long and lies along the x-axis. The cylinder carries excess charge per volume ρ=[a]r^2 (the [] are supposed to be absolute value) and has total radius,R.
B) a nonconductive sheet of paper lies in the xz-plane such that the bottom edge (width) of the paper infinitesimally close to the edge of the cylinder from part (A) and has its width parallel to the axis of the cylinder. The paper has width,W, along the x-axis, and length,L, along the z-axis, and carries a non-uniform linear charge density ([z]-R) (again the [] represent abs value). What is the total force acting on the sheet of paper in terms of the given constants (a,b,R,w,ε0 and L)
The problem is attached(IMG_4007. JPG) below.

Homework Equations

gauss's Law

The Attempt at a Solution

I have uploaded some of my interpretation of the problem (My interpretation.jpg)
My first thought is to look at a small segment of the cylinder with radius, r, thickness, dr, and charge, dQ.
we will find dQ by:
dQ=ρdV
dV=2πrLdr
dQ=ρ2πrLdr, however it is not uniform charge density. the problem states the cylinder carries excess charge per volume of ρ=ar2 (the "a" is in abs value)
so
dQ=ar22πrLdr
when we integrate dQ we will get Qenclosed within our gaussian surface.
Limits of integration for below integral are 0→R1 (R1 is the radius of my gaussian cylinder)
Q=∫dQ=∫ar22πrLdr=a2πL∫r3dr→→(aπLR14)/2
we now have our Q enclosed for gauss's Law
skipping a few steps of writing out gauss's law
E2πR1L=(aπLR14)/(2ε0)→ E=(aR13)/(4ε0)
For outside the cylinder we basically change limits when integrating dQ, Outer Gaussian cylinder radius R2
so our new limits of integration are 0→R
Qenclosed=a2πL∫r3d→→(aπLR4)/2
plugging into gauss's Law
E2πR2L=(aπLR4)/(2ε0)→E=(aR4)/(4R2ε0)

Now for part B.
I was talking with @TSny about a similar problem the other day, except this has a non-uniform charge density...I wasnt 100% good with the one with a uniform charge density. I need things broken down very basically. Not asking to give me the answer (as that is against the rules!), but definitely need some help.
Thanks in advanced, you guys/girls have been awesome so far! :)

Attachments

• IMG_4007.jpg
    IMG_4007.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 285
  • My interpretation.jpg
    My interpretation.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 244
Physics news on Phys.org
Don't use R as a variable. R is defined in the probem as the radius of the cylinder. Typically r is used as a variable. Use r in the integration to find Q, then you're done with integrations.

Once you have found Q you don't integrate again the way you did. Q is now a constant. Define a gaussian surface of radius r with Q as the free charge inside the cylinder. It looks like you computed Q correctly but I can't check your math.

As post 2 says, you need to clearly distinguish r, R1 and R2 . Ultimately, what you need is the electric field as a function of the variable distamce r. Once you have got your symbols straightened out, you should be able to write the expressions for the field in terms of r, one expression for the field inside and one for outside the cylinder.

I deleted my last post since it was misleading.
There is only one integration, to find the field from r=0 to r=R, which finds Q(r). At r=R you have Q(R). Beyond Q(R) there are no more integrations, just applying Gauss's law again.

1. What is Gauss' Law and how is it used to find the electric field?

Gauss' Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the electric field to the charge distribution in a given space. It states that the electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the enclosed charge divided by the permittivity of free space. This law is used to solve for the electric field in a space with known charge distribution.

2. Can Gauss' Law be used for any charge distribution?

Yes, Gauss' Law can be used for any charge distribution, as long as the charge is enclosed within a closed surface. This is because the electric flux through any closed surface is directly related to the total charge enclosed within that surface.

3. What is a tricky problem that can be solved using Gauss' Law?

A tricky problem that can be solved using Gauss' Law is finding the electric field inside or outside a charged conducting sphere. This problem involves determining the electric field at different distances from the center of the sphere, and involves considering the charge distribution on the surface of the sphere.

4. How do you choose the Gaussian surface when using Gauss' Law?

The Gaussian surface is an imaginary surface that is used to apply Gauss' Law. It is chosen based on the symmetry of the charge distribution, as it should be a closed surface that encloses the charge. In most cases, choosing a surface that has the same symmetry as the charge distribution will make the calculation easier.

5. What are the units of the electric field when using Gauss' Law?

The units of the electric field when using Gauss' Law are newtons per coulomb (N/C) or volts per meter (V/m). This is because the electric field is a measure of the force per unit charge experienced by a test charge placed in the field.