Guidance for a career in researching metamaterials.

In summary, the speaker is interested in studying metamaterials and has completed basic chemistry, math, and physics classes. They are currently a Chemistry major but considering changing to a minor in physics and/or computer science. They are seeking advice from someone knowledgeable in the field and mention their research on metamaterials for their Ph.D. The most important subject for metamaterials research is electromagnetism, particularly in material media. The speaker suggests that physics or electrical engineering would be the best majors for studying metamaterials.
Mnimetic
It's a subject that has interested me since I can remember and now that I've finally finished up all of my basic chemistry, math, and physics classes I want to figure out what direction I can put myself into as far as what classes are best suited to lead me in that direction. I'm currently enrolled as a Chemistry major at UMKC but plan on maybe changing to a minor in physics and/or computer science.

I'd really like to hear from someone who knows something about the field or knows someone that knows someone, etc... about what classes they thought were most important.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm researching metamaterials (simulation and experiment) for my Ph.D.

By far, the most important subject for metamaterials research is electromagnetism. Understanding E&M is essential. In particular, you should make an effort to understand electromagnetism in material media.

I think physics or electrical engineering is the best major if you want to study metamaterials.

Which particular aspect/qualities are you researching?

Related to Guidance for a career in researching metamaterials.

1. What is a metamaterial?

A metamaterial is a type of synthetic material that is designed to have unique and often unusual properties that are not found in nature. These properties are a result of the material's structure, rather than its composition.

2. What types of research are conducted on metamaterials?

Research on metamaterials can encompass a wide range of fields, including physics, materials science, engineering, and optics. Scientists may study the properties and behavior of metamaterials, as well as their potential applications in various industries.

3. What are some potential applications of metamaterials?

Metamaterials have a variety of potential applications, such as in creating invisibility cloaks, improving solar cell efficiency, and developing new types of antennas and sensors. They are also being studied for use in medical devices, robotics, and energy storage.

4. What skills are needed for a career in researching metamaterials?

A career in researching metamaterials requires a strong background in mathematics, physics, and materials science. Additionally, experience in experimental design and data analysis, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills, are essential for conducting successful research in this field.

5. What are some current challenges in metamaterial research?

One of the main challenges in metamaterial research is finding ways to scale up production of these materials, as they are often complex and time-consuming to create. Additionally, understanding and controlling the properties of metamaterials at the nanoscale level is an ongoing challenge for scientists in this field.