Guidance on physics books to study (high school senior year)

In summary, the student is having difficulty with the basics of physics and math. He recommends practicing problems from multiple resources, revisiting basics, and trying to understand the connection between math and physics.
AlvisPrabhu
Hello there,
I'm a senior year student.physics is my favorite subject, but I somehow only get B's .I would like to expand my knowledge in physics vastly.I would like to know if there's a book which contains all the concepts a senior year student should know and much more. It would be a great help if you could suggest any .
Thanks in advance.[emoji4]

Physics news on Phys.org
Likes AlvisPrabhu
jedishrfu said:
How about an IB coursebook like this one written by Tsokos?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521138213/?tag=pfamazon01-20

This is circa 2010 there are likely more recent versions.

Also there the openstax.org physics books that may help. Here's volume 1 of University Physics:

https://openstax.org/details/books/university-physics-volume-1

You need to identify why you are getting B's. Is it due to a weakness in math or in the physics itself?
It's because first I don't practice much honestly and second there is a problem with my basics.thanks for the recommendation .I'll definitely check it out.[emoji4]

Which basics math or physics?

Likes Wrichik Basu and AlvisPrabhu
jedishrfu said:
Which basics math or physics?
Basics of physics.i am pretty good at math.i also really love derivations.

AlvisPrabhu said:
It's because first I don't practice much honestly and second there is a problem with my basics

In senior years, practicing problems has to be done depending on how much time you can give to each topic. If time alloted to each topic is less, then it's best to solve problems from at least two books thoroughly, and periodically go through the worked put examples of all books you've got.

Regarding the basics: whether it's physics or maths, if either of your basics is not strong enough, I advise you to revisit them without any delay. Then try to solve problems and see if your understanding has been improved.

Likes AlvisPrabhu
That was my issue too. The math came much easier but I would get preoccupied with why the math worked so well in physics like what was the connection? and this caused me to miss the focus of what I was learning.

Years later, I eventually came to understand that there is no connection of the math to the physics. We construct theories and apply constraints and the theories allow us to predict the physics of a system. However, we keep looking for where the math and physics diverge which then results in a new better theory.

NOVA did a show on this conundrum:

Likes AlvisPrabhu
Wrichik Basu said:
In senior years, practicing problems has to be done depending on how much time you can give to each topic. If time alloted to each topic is less, then it's best to solve problems from at least two books thoroughly, and periodically go through the worked put examples of all books you've got.

Regarding the basics: whether it's physics or maths, if either of your basics is not strong enough, I advise you to revisit them without any delay. Then try to solve problems and see if your understanding has been improved.
Thanks for the guidance.i will try to follow.

jedishrfu said:
That was my issue too. The math came much easier but I would get preoccupied with why the math worked so well in physics like what was the connection? and this caused me to miss the focus of what I was learning.

Years later, I eventually came to understand that there is no connection of the math to the physics. We construct theories and apply constraints and the theories allow us to predict the physics of a system. However, we keep looking for where the math and physics diverge which then results in a new better theory.

NOVA did a show on this conundrum:

Thanks for that interesting information. Let me go check out that documentary.

1. What are the best physics books to study for high school seniors?

The best physics books for high school seniors may vary depending on individual learning styles and preferences. However, some popular choices include "Fundamentals of Physics" by David Halliday and Robert Resnick, "University Physics" by Hugh D. Young and Roger A. Freedman, and "Conceptual Physics" by Paul G. Hewitt.

2. Are there any specific topics or concepts that I should focus on while studying physics in my senior year of high school?

In general, it is important to have a strong understanding of classical mechanics, electricity and magnetism, and waves and optics. It is also beneficial to have a basic understanding of thermodynamics, modern physics, and quantum mechanics.

3. Is it necessary to have prior knowledge in math to study physics in my senior year?

While having a strong foundation in math, particularly algebra and calculus, can be helpful in understanding physics concepts, it is not necessarily required. Most high school physics courses will cover the necessary math concepts as they relate to physics.

4. Are there any online resources or study guides that can supplement my physics textbook?

Yes, there are many online resources and study guides available to supplement your physics textbook. Some popular options include Khan Academy, Physics Classroom, and HyperPhysics.

5. How can I make the most of my study time for physics in my senior year?

To make the most of your study time, it is important to stay organized and create a study schedule. Practice problems and review notes regularly, and seek help from your teacher or peers if you are struggling with any concepts. Additionally, actively engaging with the material by asking questions and seeking real-world applications can also enhance your understanding of physics.