Hair in between two glass plates. Decreasing the distance between the maxima

In summary: The phase shift is the same, but the path length is smaller, so the distance between maxima decreases. In summary, decreasing the wavelength of the laser light and moving the hair to the left will decrease the distance between the periodic intensity maxima seen on the slides. This is due to the interference of the two reflections at the slides, where the path length is twice the distance between the slides. By decreasing the wavelength, the path length is shortened, resulting in a shorter distance between maxima.
Hereformore

Homework Statement

wfwXk.jpg

A thin hair is placed between two microscope slides. When laser light is shined down onto the slides, periodic intensity maxima are seen to span the slides. Which of the following changes will decrease the distance between the maxima?

I. Decrease the wavelength of the laser light.
II. Fill the air gap between the slides with carbon disulfide (n=1.6)
III. Move the hair to the left, while keeping the slides in contact with each other at their left edges.

The correct answer is I and III.

Homework Equations

2t = (m+1/2) * (wavelength / n) for constructive interference.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
i'm really unsure as to how to approach this problem. I initially saw it a a diffraction problem, in which a phase change occurs at the first interface because the glass has a higher n than the air. Then in the second interface because you're going from air to glass

Then there is another reflection as you go from glass to air but there is no phase change in this reflection.

Finally, in the third transition, you go from air to glass so there is a phase change.

However that does not tell me what i qualitatively need to know to answer this question. The answer key in the book I am using classifies this as a double slit diffraction problem to explain the answer.

Decreasing the wavelength of light would decrease the distance between maxima. Apparently this is because decreasing the wavelength would create more wavelets which would thus decrease the space between maxima. What I don't understand is the connection between wavelength and # of wavelts and distance between maxima.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have two reflections which interfere, one from each glass slide. The interference arises from the difference in path length, which will be twice the distance between the slides at that point. From there on its just geometry.
If the wave length is shorter, you don't have to go as far along the slides, horizontally, to find the next place where a whole number of waves occupy the airspace.

1. What is the purpose of placing hair between two glass plates?

The purpose of placing hair between two glass plates is to observe and measure the diffraction pattern of light passing through the hair. This can provide information about the structure and properties of the hair.

2. How does decreasing the distance between the glass plates affect the diffraction pattern?

Decreasing the distance between the glass plates will result in a narrower and more concentrated diffraction pattern. This is because the closer the plates are, the more the light waves are forced to bend and interfere with each other, creating a stronger diffraction pattern.

3. Can the distance between the glass plates be decreased indefinitely?

No, the distance between the glass plates cannot be decreased indefinitely. There is a limit to how close the plates can be before the diffraction pattern becomes distorted and no longer accurately reflects the structure of the hair.

4. How does the thickness of the hair affect the diffraction pattern?

The thicker the hair, the wider the diffraction pattern will be. This is because thicker hair will diffract the light waves at a larger angle, resulting in a wider spread of the diffraction pattern.

5. What other factors can affect the diffraction pattern of hair between two glass plates?

Other factors that can affect the diffraction pattern of hair between two glass plates include the color of the hair, the angle at which the light is shone on the hair, and the quality and smoothness of the glass plates. All of these factors can impact the size, shape, and intensity of the diffraction pattern.