Decreasing the distance between the wave sources....

In summary, decreasing the distance between two wave sources in an interference pattern will result in a larger interference pattern with greater angles between the nodal lines and a decrease in wavelength. While there may be some uncertainty and a need for further experimentation or simulation, this is a reasonable supposition based on examples from the book and the visualized effects of altering the distance between the sources.
LionLieOn

Homework Statement

Imagine a interference pattern like the common water-wave interference pattern.

What effect would decreasing the distance between the 2 wave sources have on the interference pattern?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

A change in the distance between the two sources will also alter the number of lines. When the distance is decreased between the wave sources the interference pattern will become larger ( larger diffraction ) and the angles between the nodal lines would become greater, and the wavelength of the resulting waves would also decrease.

I'm not very confident in my answer. I tried to visualize this in my mind but it was difficult. I tried to look for some ripple simulations to help me but I couldn't find one.

Is my answer correct? I tried to visualize it but I just couldn't. I just took examples from my book and compared them.

I'm I missing anything important or am I wrong? Thank you in advanced.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are correct i.e. the wavelength will decrease.
If they are brought closer then the distance will decrease and so, perhaps the wavelength will decrease.
Mind you, this is only a supposition.

Hmm is there anything else I can add/ know of a simulator that can prove my statement?

Sorry I'm a bit of perfectionist.

Thank you for the help too.

1. How does decreasing the distance between wave sources affect their interference?

Decreasing the distance between wave sources increases the likelihood of constructive interference, resulting in a larger amplitude and a louder sound. This is because the waves from each source will overlap and reinforce each other more closely, leading to a stronger combined wave.

2. Will decreasing the distance between wave sources change the wavelength of the waves?

No, decreasing the distance between wave sources will not change the wavelength of the waves. The wavelength of a wave is determined by the frequency of the wave and the medium it is traveling through, not the distance between the sources.

3. How does the frequency of the waves affect the interference when the distance between the sources is decreased?

The frequency of the waves does not directly affect the interference when the distance between the sources is decreased. However, if the frequency of the waves is changed, it can affect the wavelength and ultimately the interference pattern.

4. Can the distance between wave sources ever be too small for interference to occur?

Yes, the distance between wave sources can be too small for interference to occur. If the distance between the sources is less than half the wavelength of the waves, the interference pattern will not be clearly defined and the resulting sound will be distorted.

5. Are there any other factors besides distance that can affect the interference of waves?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the interference of waves. The amplitude and frequency of the waves, as well as the medium they are traveling through, can all impact the interference pattern. Additionally, the type and shape of the wave sources can also play a role in interference.