Half Infinite Well Homework: Solve for E<0

In summary, the homework statement is that you need to use the boundary conditions to find the solutions to the schrodinger equation. You need to find out what is needed for an eigenvalue to be negative and to find the solutions for the different regions. You should also be able to sketch the basic shape of the (amplitudes) first few bound-states (if they exist).
chaotic

Homework Statement

4hw7il.jpg

Homework Equations

-h^2/2m d^2F(x)/dx^2 = EF(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

i just need to a part. for E<0 i can find for 0<x<L side F(x) = ACos(Lx) + BSin(Lx)

at the L<x side, F(x) = e^(Kx) where

L^2= 2m(E+V)/h^2

K^2= -2mE/h^2

but i do not know what will i do. can you help me for a part of question.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is an infinite barrier with a finite well in front of it.
1. Solve the schrodinger equation for the eigenvalues.
2. Find out what is needed for an eigenvalue to be negative.

[edit] Me and Mute crossed posts - I've decided to support Mute's approach.

Have you seen the finite square well? This is similar.

Last edited:
You probably want to use a different symbol than L in the Cos(Lx) and Sin(Lx) terms.

For L<x (using the length L, here), your solution should be a decaying exponential - you have chosen the exponential that grows as x grows.

Now that you have the solutions in the two regions, you need to apply the boundary conditions. Using the boundary condition that your wave function should go to zero at infinity is what gives you the decaying exponential for L<x. There are two more boundaries: The boundary at x = 0, and the boundary at x = L. Do you know what the boundary conditions are at these boundaries? (Edit: Simon Bridge has given you the conditions, so get to it!)

aghh i get all A,B,C = 0 :confused::confused:

i attached the solution;

http://imgur.com/rtBpCl.jg

where am i doing wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
You picked the "trivial" solutions - zero everywhere is, indeed, a solution.
But you only need the different sections to agree at one point.

Recap:
##\psi_I(0)=\psi_{II}(0)##

You need ##\psi_{II}(x)=A\cos(kx)+B\sin(kx)## to be 0 at x=0, which must mean that A=0, because ##\cos(0)=1##... so ##\psi_{II}(x)=B\sin(kx)## ... so far so good.

At the other end it is more complicated:
##A\sin(kL)=Ce^{-KL}##
##Ak\cos(kL)=-CKe^{-KL}##
... which appears to give you four variables in only two equations doesn't it?
But I think you'll find that k and K have to be related, so that's really only three variables.

In the end - the entire wavefunction has to be normalized ... so $$\int_0^L \psi_{II}^\star(x)\psi_{II}(x)dx + \int_L^\infty \psi_{III}^\star(x)\psi_{III}(x)dx = 1$$ which should give you the third equation.

You'll find that only specific values of k (hence K) will satisfy these conditions... (particularly for E<0) so providing discrete energy levels.
Hint: what are k and K both functions of?

Like I said before - the method of solving these last two is very similar to that for a finite square well ... which you can look up.
You should also be able to sketch the basic shape of the (amplitudes) first few bound-states (if they exist) ... eg. the first one starts at 0 when x=0, has a peak between 0 and L, is still >0 at x=L then decays exponentially from there.

Last edited:
thank you very much. i think i can solve it after your help.

1. What is a "half infinite well" in physics?

A half infinite well is a potential energy barrier that extends to infinity in one direction, but has a finite depth in the other direction. It is often used in quantum mechanics to model the behavior of particles in a confined space.

2. How do you solve for E<0 in a half infinite well?

To solve for E<0 in a half infinite well, you would use the Schrödinger equation and boundary conditions to find the allowed energy states of the system. Then, you would use these energy states to determine the probability of finding a particle in a particular energy state within the well.

3. What are the boundary conditions for a half infinite well?

The boundary conditions for a half infinite well include a potential barrier at one end that extends to infinity, and a potential well at the other end that has a finite depth. Additionally, the wave function must be continuous and the derivative of the wave function must be discontinuous at the boundary points.

4. How does the depth of the well affect the energy states in a half infinite well?

The depth of the well affects the energy states in a half infinite well by determining the allowed energy levels for particles within the well. A deeper well will have more energy levels, while a shallower well will have fewer energy levels. Additionally, the depth of the well will also affect the probability of finding a particle in a particular energy state within the well.

5. What applications does a half infinite well have in physics?

A half infinite well has many applications in physics, particularly in quantum mechanics. It can be used to model the behavior of particles in a confined space, such as a quantum dot or a semiconductor material. It is also used in studying the properties of quantum tunneling and in understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules in a confined space.