Hamiltonian For Two-Particle System

In summary, you calculate the laplacians of the wavefunction using the product and chain rule, but you incorrectly calculate the second derivatives of those laplacians. You get the same result as if you had simply multiplied the laplacians by their respective gradients.
McCoy13

Homework Statement

Show that the time-independent Schrödinger equation becomes
[tex]-\frac{h^{2}}{2(m_{1}+m_{2})}\nabla^{2}_{R}\psi-\frac{h^{2}}{2\mu}\nabla^{2}_{r}\psi+V(r)\psi = E\psi[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]-\frac{h^{2}}{2m_{1}}\nabla^{2}_{1}\psi-\frac{h^{2}}{2m_{2}}\nabla^{2}_{2}\psi+V(r)\psi = E\psi[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\nabla^{2}_{1} = (\frac{\mu}{m_{2}})\nabla^{2}_{R}+\nabla^{2}_{r}[/tex]
[tex]\nabla^{2}_{2} = (\frac{\mu}{m_{1}})\nabla^{2}_{R}-\nabla^{2}_{r}[/tex]

Substituting into the Hamiltonian, I got
[tex]-\frac{h^{2}}{2(m_{1}+m_{2})}\nabla^{2}_{R}\psi-(\frac{h^{2}}{2})(\frac{m_{2}-m{1}}{m_{1}m_{2}})\nabla^{2}_{r}\psi+V(r)\psi = E\psi[/tex]

I think I must've calculated [tex]\nabla^{2}_{1} = (\frac{\mu}{m_{2}})\nabla^{2}_{R}+\nabla^{2}_{r}[/tex] and [tex]\nabla^{2}_{2} = (\frac{\mu}{m_{1}})\nabla^{2}_{R}-\nabla^{2}_{r}[/tex] incorrectly, but I can't for the life of me figure out why. I used chain rule to get [tex]\nabla_{R}[/tex] and [tex]\nabla_{r}[/tex] and then product rule to get the second derivatives. Since the derivatives of R and r with respect to r1 and r2 are simply constants, they don't contribute to the second derivative.

Thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to show us the work you did to calculate those new laplacians, so that we can guide you where you went wrong. But you are right about those laplacians being wrong, I just can't tell you where you went wrong without seeing the work.

I started with:
[tex]\nabla_{1} = \frac{\mu}{m_{2}}\nabla_{R}+\nabla_{r}[/tex]
[tex]\nabla_{2} = \frac{\mu}{m_{1}}\nabla_{R}-\nabla_{r}[/tex]

Then, for the second derivative (where I may be going wrong is that [tex]\nabla(\nabla) \neq \nabla^{2}[/tex]?) I used the product rule since [tex]\frac{\mu}{m_{2}}\nabla_{R}+\nabla_{r} = \frac{\partial R}{\partial r_{1}}\nabla_{R}+\frac{\partial r}{\partial r_{1}}\nabla_{r}[/tex] (that last partial should be partial of r with respect to r1, it's not showing up for some reason) and the same for [tex]\nabla_{2}[/tex]. Since [tex]\frac{\partial R}{\partial r_{1}}[/tex] is a constant and the same for partial r with respect to r1 (and the same again for r2) then those terms disappear and you are left with the equations I had in my original post.

Last edited:
The first two lines are correct. Not sure what you are doing in the following paragraph.

Since you know [tex]\nabla_1[/tex], you just square it to get [tex]\nabla_1^2[/tex]. Then it becomes:

[tex]\nabla_1^2 = \left(\frac{\mu}{m_{2}}\nabla_{R}+\nabla_{r}\right)^2[/tex]

You then just expand it like you would for (a+b)^2. Do the same for the 2nd gradient.

This is what I suspected. Thanks.

Related to Hamiltonian For Two-Particle System

1. What is a Hamiltonian for a two-particle system?

A Hamiltonian for a two-particle system is a mathematical expression that describes the total energy of a two-particle system. It takes into account the kinetic and potential energies of both particles and is used to calculate the dynamics of the system.

2. How is the Hamiltonian for a two-particle system derived?

The Hamiltonian for a two-particle system is derived from the Hamiltonian mechanics, a mathematical formulation of classical mechanics. It involves solving the equations of motion for both particles and combining them into a single equation that represents the total energy of the system.

3. What are the variables in a Hamiltonian for a two-particle system?

The variables in a Hamiltonian for a two-particle system include the positions and momenta of both particles, as well as any potential energy terms that may be present in the system.

4. How is the Hamiltonian for a two-particle system used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the Hamiltonian for a two-particle system is used to calculate the wave function of the system. The wave function represents the probability of finding the two particles in a particular state, and the Hamiltonian operator acts on the wave function to determine its evolution over time.

5. Can the Hamiltonian for a two-particle system be used for any type of particles?

Yes, the Hamiltonian for a two-particle system can be used for any type of particles, as long as they follow classical mechanics. It can also be modified to include relativistic effects for particles moving at high speeds or for particles with spin.