Hard molar specific heat question?

In summary, at very low temperatures, the molar specific heat of many substances follows Debye's law, where C=k*(T^3/To^3). For rock salt, with To= 281K and k= 1940 J/mol*K, the heat needed to raise 2.40 mol of salt from 30.0K to 50.0K can be determined by integrating the C function.
fantexihong

Homework Statement

At very low temperatures, the molar specific heat of many substances varies as the cube of the absolute temperature: C=k*(T^3/To^3),
which is sometimes called Debye's law. For rock salt, To= 281K and k= 1940 J/mol*K

Determine the heat needed to raise 2.40 mol of salt from 30.0K to 50.0K .

Homework Equations

I don't know if this equation applies to solid . Q=nC*ΔT

The Attempt at a Solution

I know ΔT is 20, it seems to me that the only unknown for this question is T.
I tried to plug in 30 OR 50 into T, but I got the wrong answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Q=nCΔT is OK, but to make things more difficult C is a function of temperature.

Borek said:
Q=nCΔT is OK, but to make things more difficult C is a function of temperature.

Could you tell me how to get the C value for this question? I know C=k*(T^3/To^3) from the problem, it also gives me k and To value, but I don't know what is T value.

T is given in the problem and is not constant - it changes from 30 to 50 K. You need to integrate.

Borek said:
T is given in the problem and is not constant - it changes from 30 to 50 K. You need to integrate.
It works!I just need to integrate that C function, thank you!

Likes alfab

Related to Hard molar specific heat question?

1. What is molar specific heat?

Molar specific heat, also known as molar heat capacity, is the amount of heat needed to raise the temperature of one mole of a substance by one degree Celsius.

2. Why is molar specific heat important?

Molar specific heat is important in understanding the amount of energy required to heat a substance, as well as its ability to store and release heat. It also helps in determining the thermal properties of a substance.

3. How does molar specific heat differ from specific heat?

Molar specific heat is the heat capacity per mole of a substance, while specific heat is the heat capacity per unit mass. Molar specific heat takes into account the molecular weight of a substance, while specific heat does not.

4. What factors affect molar specific heat?

The molar mass, chemical composition, and molecular structure of a substance can affect its molar specific heat. Temperature, pressure, and phase changes can also have an impact.

5. How is molar specific heat measured?

Molar specific heat can be measured experimentally using techniques such as differential scanning calorimetry or by calculating it from other known thermal properties of a substance, such as specific heat and molar mass.