Has anyone interned with DAAD Rise in Germany?

• Other
  • Thread starter vancouver_water
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Germany Rise
In summary: Definitely look into the project and learn about the persons you may be working with. I think those can have a substantial impact on your experience, and it'll make other factors like pay or prestige matter a lot less (although I have heard of DAAD and I am thinking it's one of the reputable ones). I hope this helps!When were you notified of your acceptance?Hi,I ended up staying at my school. But how was the program?I had a really great experience! I was working on data analysis for flavor tagging at LHCb. Everyone in the lab I was working in was very friendly and we often had social events like staying in late on Wednesdays for pizza and a 60km bike trip to
vancouver_water
I was accepted to their program and could work with a group doing data analysis. However, I have already accepted another offer at my own school. If anyone has done a RISE internship, how was it? the pay? the experience? Germany?
I have to accept by tomorrow and am not sure what to do.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry I can't give specifics because I haven't personally done the program; however, a friend of mine did the program and she really liked it. She said it paid well. She liked it so much, that she's applying for graduate schools in Germany instead of continuing out our home institution in the US.

Definitely look into the project and learn about the persons you may be working with. I think those can have a substantial impact on your experience, and it'll make other factors like pay or prestige matter a lot less (although I have heard of DAAD and I am thinking it's one of the reputable ones). I hope this helps!

When were you notified of your acceptance?

Hey thanks post, I'll definitely take it into consideration. I heard yesterday I was accepted.

Hi, I did the DAAD RISE program last summer. You probably already made your decision, but if you accepted let me know if you want any advice on living and working in Germany!

geosynchronous said:
Hi, I did the DAAD RISE program last summer. You probably already made your decision, but if you accepted let me know if you want any advice on living and working in Germany!
Hey,
I ended up staying at my school. But how was the program?

I had a really great experience! I was working on data analysis for flavor tagging at LHCb. Everyone in the lab I was working in was very friendly and we often had social events like staying in late on Wednesdays for pizza and a 60km bike trip to the head professor's house for a barbecue. There were three other RISE students in the lab as well. The research and group meetings were all done in English, but knowing German did help with daily life in Germany of course. I study German and Physics so it was a really great way to combine my two fields and get great research experience and professional contacts around the world. I also took a weekend trip to Geneva to visit CERN!

1. What is DAAD Rise and what does it stand for?

DAAD Rise is an acronym for Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst Research Internships in Science and Engineering. It is a prestigious program that offers research internships in Germany for undergraduate students in the fields of science and engineering.

2. How long is the internship with DAAD Rise in Germany?

The internship with DAAD Rise in Germany typically lasts for 2-3 months during the summer. However, the exact duration may vary depending on the specific research project and host institution.

3. Do I need to speak German to participate in the DAAD Rise program?

No, fluency in German is not a requirement for the DAAD Rise program. However, it is always beneficial to have some knowledge of the language as it can help with daily life in Germany and interacting with colleagues. Some research projects may also require a basic understanding of German.

4. How competitive is the DAAD Rise program?

The DAAD Rise program is highly competitive, with a limited number of spots available each year. The selection process is based on academic excellence, research experience, and a strong motivation to participate in the program. It is important to carefully review and follow all application requirements and deadlines.

5. What are the benefits of interning with DAAD Rise in Germany?

Participating in the DAAD Rise program offers several benefits, including gaining valuable research experience in a top research institution in Germany, networking with international scientists and engineers, and experiencing a different culture. Additionally, participants receive a monthly stipend to cover living expenses and may have the opportunity to present their research at a conference in Germany.