Has my community college skipping important precalc concepts?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's experience with math in high school and community college. They mention receiving high marks in recent remedial math classes, but feeling that the material in their current precalculus class is watered down. The conversation also touches on the skipped topics of long division of polynomials and logarithms, which are considered challenging for students. The speaker expresses uncertainty about continuing with college math and considering self-teaching. The conversation concludes by acknowledging the importance of covering core concepts and the possibility of revisiting skipped topics in later courses.
mmm_math
Hi. I did poorly in HS math due to many reasons, but now I love it and have received ~ 100% on every exam in the past 4 remedial math classes. Next I start cc version of precalc.

So lately I've been feeling like my cc is teaching us watered down math. For example, logarithms are not introduced until part 1 of precalc (precalc at my cc is divided into 2 separate classes, let's call them 111 and 112). Long division of polynomials is skipped completely as well.

Link to text being used: http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-EHEP002958.htmlThe bold chapters will be covered in both classes, the rest are skipped.

Chapter 0: Equations and Inequalities

Chapter 1: Functions and their Graphs

Chapter 2: Polynomial and Rational Functions

Chapter 3: Exponential and Logarithmic Functions

Chapter 4: Trigonometric Functions of Angles

Chapter 5: Trigonometric Functions of Real Numbers

Chapter 6: Analytic Trigonometry

Chapter 7: Polar Coordinates and Vectors

Chapter 8: Systems of Linear Equations and Inequalities

Chapter 9: Conics, Systems of Nonlinear Equations and Parametric Equations

Chapter 10: Sequences and SeriesAlso absent is anything on limits, which is not even introduced until Calc 1.

I asked several teachers here what the hardest topic was for their 111 students and they all said logarithms and rationals (fractions are hard to folks here I suppose).Not sure what to do. Part of me wants to stop taking college math altogether and just teach myself. I want to get a degree in Engineering and I don't want to have any holes in my maths.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Fractions and exponents are generally tricky subjects for students to learn.
Most students in NZ don't see logarithms before senior year HS or 1st year college, but we used to cover it in junior HS after multplication by tables you get log tables use.

Log functions come into their own with calculus and you don't need limits before calculus either.

Given that some stuff has to be missed out or left until later in order to get other core conceps through, I think you are describing a sane curriculum for a community college.

Note: skipping a chapter is not the same as skipping the subject.

1. What are some important precalc concepts that my community college might be skipping?

Some important precalc concepts that are often covered in community college courses include functions, graphs, equations, polynomials, trigonometry, and logarithms.

2. How will skipping important precalc concepts affect my understanding of more advanced math courses?

Skipping important precalc concepts can have a negative impact on your understanding of more advanced math courses. These concepts serve as building blocks for more complex mathematical concepts and without a strong foundation, it can be difficult to grasp more advanced material.

3. What should I do if I suspect my community college is skipping important precalc concepts?

If you suspect that your community college is skipping important precalc concepts, it is important to speak with your instructor or academic advisor. They can provide further clarification and help you develop a plan to ensure you have a solid understanding of the concepts being skipped.

4. How can I make sure I am not missing any important precalc concepts?

To ensure that you are not missing any important precalc concepts, it is important to review the course syllabus and seek out additional resources, such as textbooks or online tutorials, to supplement your learning. You can also reach out to your instructor or peers for clarification on any concepts that you may find confusing.

5. Is it common for community colleges to skip important precalc concepts?

It is not uncommon for community colleges to have a condensed or accelerated curriculum that may skip over some precalc concepts. However, it is important to communicate any concerns with your instructor and take the necessary steps to ensure you have a strong understanding of the material.