Have I got the right picture for cosmological redshift?

In summary, Sean Carroll explains that cosmological redshift is different from Doppler redshift, as shown in his thought experiment. In this experiment, two galaxies in a flat universe are separated by a distance s and a photon is emitted from one galaxy. In the first scenario, the universe expands by a factor of 2, then stops and the photon arrives, resulting in a redshift. However, in the second scenario, the galaxies are moving away from each other, but there is no Doppler redshift. This implies that in an expanding universe, distant galaxies are not actually moving away from each other. The next step is to compare these concepts to real values, such as the Hubble constant. Overall, Carroll's thought experiment highlights
George Keeling
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
I have a question on cosmological redshift which I have just learned about from Sean Carroll. After calculating it for an expanding universe he does a thought experiment to show that it is different to Doppler redshift which would be detected if two galaxies were flying away from each other in a flat (therefore not expanding) universe.
Summary: I have a question on cosmological redshift which I have just learned about from Sean Carroll. After calculating it for an expanding universe he does a thought experiment to show that it is different to Doppler redshift which would be detected if two galaxies were flying away from each other in a flat (therefore not expanding) universe.

junk.png

Here's Sean Carroll's thought experiment:
We have flat universe L on the left with two galaxies separated by distance ## s##. A photon is emitted from galaxy 1, galaxy 2 is quickly propelled to a separation of ##2s##, galaxy 2 stops and the photon arrives. Since the galaxies are now not relatively moving there would be no Doppler redshift.

On the right the galaxies are also separated by ## s## but, instead of moving a galaxy, the universe expands by a factor of 2 (it briefly gets a metric like ## ds^2=-dt^2+t^2dx^2##), then stops expanding and then the photon arrives. According to the cosmological redshift formula, the photon has a redshift.

This implies that the galaxies in universe R are still separated by ## s##, because rulers would expand along with everything else. One can also check this by drawing out and back light paths before and after expansion.

This is spooky. It also implies that in our 'expanding' universe distant galaxies are not really moving away! One also wonders how we tell that it's cosmological not Doppler redshift.

Have I got the picture roughly right? The next step will be to compare these to real values like the Hubble constant.

Space news on Phys.org
It's in my reading list now. I like the punch line.

1. What is cosmological redshift?

Cosmological redshift is a phenomenon that occurs when light from an object in space is stretched as it travels through the expanding universe. This causes the wavelength of the light to appear longer, shifting it towards the red end of the spectrum.

2. How does cosmological redshift affect our understanding of the universe?

By studying the amount of redshift in light from distant objects, scientists can determine the distance and rate of expansion of the universe. This helps us understand the age and size of the universe, as well as its evolution over time.

3. How is cosmological redshift related to the Big Bang theory?

The Big Bang theory suggests that the universe began with a rapid expansion, and this expansion is still ongoing. The redshift of light from distant objects provides evidence for this expansion, supporting the Big Bang theory.

4. Can cosmological redshift be used to measure the age of the universe?

Yes, by measuring the redshift of light from distant objects and using the known rate of expansion, scientists can estimate the age of the universe. Currently, the most widely accepted estimate for the age of the universe is around 13.8 billion years.

5. Are there any other factors that can cause redshift in light from distant objects?

Yes, there are other factors that can contribute to redshift, such as the Doppler effect caused by the relative motion of the object and the observer. However, cosmological redshift is the dominant factor observed in light from distant objects and is used to determine the expansion of the universe.