Having trouble with some simple physic questions.

• Thread starter Mr. Fish
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physic
In summary: What is it?Hint: distance = speed x time (uniform speed and uniform acceleration are not relevant to this solution.)Getting closer. You have the time it takes for the bear to catch the tourist. What is the maximum distance the tourist could have run in that time?Please show your working.
Mr. Fish
1. The problem statement, variables and given/known data
A tourist being chased by an angry bear is running in straight line toward his car at a speed of 4.0m/s. The car is a distance d away. The bear is 26m behind the tourist and running at 6.0m/s. The tourist reaches the car safely. What is the maximum possible value for d?

Homework Equations

V = Vo + at
X = 1/2(Vo + V)t
X = Vo * t + 1/2at^2
V^2 = Vo^2 + 2ax
Vo is initial velocity
V is final velocity
a is acceleration
x is distance

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm honestly stumped on this question. I know the objective is to find the max amount possible for d(or x) to be for the man to get to his car safely.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr. Fish said:
1. The problem statement, variables and given/known data
A tourist being chased by an angry bear is running in straight line toward his car at a speed of 4.0m/s. The car is a distance d away. The bear is 26m behind the tourist and running at 6.0m/s. The tourist reaches the car safely. What is the maximum possible value for d?

Homework Equations

V = Vo + at
X = 1/2(Vo + V)t
X = Vo * t + 1/2at^2
V^2 = Vo^2 + 2ax
Vo is initial velocity
V is final velocity
a is acceleration
x is distance

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm honestly stumped on this question. I know the objective is to find the max amount possible for d(or x) to be for the man to get to his car safely.

At what rate is the bear gaining on the tourist?
How far from the tourist was the bear when this chase began?
How long will it take the bear to catch the man?
How far will the man run in that time?
What was at the end of that distance?

PeterO said:
At what rate is the bear gaining on the tourist?
How far from the tourist was the bear when this chase began?
How long will it take the bear to catch the man?
How far will the man run in that time?
What was at the end of that distance?
All of the information I supplied was all that I was given :[

Mr. Fish said:
You do have enough information to solve :)
Write equations for the bear's position as a function of time and the tourist's positions as a function of time. It may help to set up a suitable coordinate system.

Mr. Fish said:

I was not asking for information, I was breaking the question down into a series of simple steps that you should be able to do WITHOUT reference to formulas.

Again:

At what rate is the bear gaining on the tourist? Hint: how fast is each of them running?

CAF123 said:
You do have enough information to solve :)
Write equations for the bear's position as a function of time and the tourist's positions as a function of time. It may help to set up a suitable coordinate system.
Gah I got like 10 of these questions T-T. Also that didn't make such sense to me.

Mr. Fish said:
Gah I got like 10 of these questions T-T. Also that didn't make such sense to me.

Did you read my post #5?

Mr. Fish said:
So the tourist starts 26m ahead of the bear and is running at 4m/s. Use one of the kinematic relations to obtain the tourist's position as a function of time. Now do the same for the bear. It may help to clarify things if you set up a coordinate system with the origin at the bear's position. So the tourist's initial position (i.e [itex] x_o [/itex]) is 26m, while the bears is 0.
Once you have these expressions equate them to find the time it takes for them to meet. PeterO has outlined the method of calculation.

The bear was gaining at a rate of 2.0m/s? Right? If so than what would be my next step?

Mr. Fish said:
The bear was gaining at a rate of 2.0m/s? Right? If so than what would be my next step?

Correct rate of gaining.

Read my 5 questions .. but

How much ground did the bear have to make up to catch the tourist, and at at that rate; how long will that take?

Edit: about to go out, but I emphasise - read my 5 questions in post #2

26m to make up while at a gain rate of. 2.0 m/s soo I'm not sure but...
6.0m/s for 26m is 4.33s
2m/s for 13s
Sort of lost at which time to use.

Mr. Fish said:
26m to make up while at a gain rate of. 2.0 m/s soo I'm not sure but...
6.0m/s for 26m is 4.33s
2m/s for 13s
Sort of lost at which time to use.

Well that's a pity.

Does the 26 metres represent the distance to travel to catch the tourist, or the extra distance to travel to catch the tourist?

You would thus have to chose whether to use the speed of the bear, or the extra speed of the bear, when calculating the time to make up those 26 m.

Hint: when the bear has run 26m, where is the tourist?

I would guess that the 26m represents the distance travel to catch the tourist and would have to use the speed of the bear(not the 2.0m/s) so it would take 4.33s for the bear to catch the tourist. Now with the new time variable(t) I guess I can now plug in the variables into an equation.

Formula?
X = 1/2(Vo+V)t

x = .5(4.0*6.9)4.33

?

Mr. Fish said:
I would guess that the 26m represents the distance travel to catch the tourist and would have to use the speed of the bear(not the 2.0m/s) so it would take 4.33s for the bear to catch the tourist. Now with the new time variable(t) I guess I can now plug in the variables into an equation.

Formula?
X = 1/2(Vo+V)t

x = .5(4.0*6.9)4.33

?

You're not guessing very well.

While the bear runs 26m [in 4.433 seconds] what is the tourist doing? Now I know the Tourist in Denali National park was standing there taking pictures, but our tourist is running at 4 m/s. What will he achieve in 4.33 seconds? What will the bear have to do after it has run 26m?

Mr. Fish said:

Formula?
X = 1/2(Vo+V)t

x = .5(4.0*6.9)4.33

?

Imagine you are going to replicate this situation on a large table - like the ones they use in war rooms, with a little figure of a man, and a little figure of a bear.

Being to scale, you place the figures 26 cm apart.
Now you move the man 4 cm from the bear, then the bear 6 cm towards the man.
That represents the first second of the chase.
How far apart will the models be?
You repeat those moves - man 4 cm from bear, then bear 6cm towards man.
That represents the second second of the chase.
How far has the man moved so far?
You repeat the moves - man 4 cm from bear, then bear 6cm towards man.
That represents the third second of the chase.
Do you see a pattern emerging?
If you do - solve the problem.
If you dont: -
That represents the fourth second of the chase.
That represents the fifth second of the chase.
That represents the sixth second of the chase.
If you dont: - keep repeating until the bear catches the man, and consider how far the man has moved in total.

What are some common misconceptions about physics?

One common misconception about physics is that it only deals with complex mathematical equations and theories. In reality, physics is also about understanding and explaining everyday phenomena such as motion, light, and energy.

Why do some people struggle with physics?

Some people may struggle with physics because it requires a strong foundation in mathematics and critical thinking skills. Additionally, the concepts in physics can be abstract and may require a different way of thinking compared to other subjects.

What are some tips for understanding physics concepts?

Some tips for understanding physics concepts include practicing regularly, breaking down complex ideas into smaller parts, and seeking help from teachers or peers when needed. It can also be helpful to apply physics concepts to real-life situations to better understand their relevance.

How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

To improve problem-solving skills in physics, it is important to first have a strong understanding of the underlying concepts. Practice solving various types of problems and use different problem-solving strategies such as drawing diagrams, using equations, or breaking down the problem into smaller parts.

What resources are available for students struggling with physics?

There are various resources available for students struggling with physics, such as textbooks, online tutorials, study groups, and tutoring services. It can also be helpful to talk to your teacher or academic advisor for additional support and guidance.