Health Physics Course: Freshmen Welcome!

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of taking a health physics course as a freshman without any prerequisites. The course covers topics such as atomic and nuclear structure, radiation detection and measurement, and radiation protection. The person considering the course is majoring in physics and is interested in mathematical concepts and the atom. They also mention their academic and career goals related to physics and express interest in taking the course earlier. The conversation ends with a suggestion to speak with an academic advisor or the course professor to ensure it aligns with their interests and goals.
Utilite
Should i take a health physics course as a freshmen? There are no prerequisites.
Course Content
Atomic and nuclear structure, radioactivity, interaction of radiation with matter, radiation detection and measurement, radiation dosimetry, biological effects of ionizing radiation, radiation protection and non-ionizing radiation.

Physics news on Phys.org
We need more information about you. What are your academic and career goals. What are your interests? Sounds interesting to me :smile:

Greg Bernhardt said:
We need more information about you. What are your academic and career goals. What are your interests? Sounds interesting to me :smile:
I am majoring in physics. I want to be a mathematical physicist but i would consider being a medical physicist or a nuclear physicist. I really like mathematical concepts, don't like cosmology. And I am really interested in the atom and the particles. My week is quite empty this semester, I have Newtonian mechanics, single variable calculus, general chemistry and physics lab. I want to double major in mathematics and next couple of years will be full so I want to take some courses earlier. I might work about cancer or renewable energy after I graduate.

You might want to talk to an academic advisor or the professor who teaches the course first to see what this course is actually geared towards. Normally such a course would require at least first year physics as a pre-requisite if it's targeted at physics majors. It's possible that the course is set up for people in specific professional programs such as radiation therapy or nuclear medicine technology or even nursing and as a physics major you would end up disappointed in the content.

Likes gleem and Utilite

1. What is a health physics course?

A health physics course is a course that focuses on the application of physics principles to the field of health and medicine. It covers topics such as radiation, nuclear energy, and environmental health.

2. Is this course only for freshmen?

No, this course is open to students of all levels, but it is designed to be a beginner-level course for freshmen to introduce them to the field of health physics.

3. What can I expect to learn in this course?

In this course, you can expect to learn about the basics of radiation, its effects on human health, and how it is used in various industries. You will also learn about radiation safety measures, nuclear energy, and environmental health concerns related to radiation.

4. Do I need a background in physics to take this course?

While a background in physics is not required, it may be helpful to have a basic understanding of physics concepts. However, this course is designed for beginners, so no prior knowledge is necessary.

5. Will this course prepare me for a career in health physics?

Yes, this course will provide you with a solid foundation in health physics and can help prepare you for a career in this field. It is a great starting point for further education and training in health physics.