Healthy Eating for Kids: 5 Simple Steps

• Thread starter paumndi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kids
In summary: Yes, we can see it too. How far does she go/where does she end up when she decides to brake ?The young lady goes to the light and then stops.The young lady goes to the light and then stops.
paumndi
Homework Statement
A regular intersection is 15 meters wide, and the time it takes for a traffic light to turn from yellow to red is only 3 seconds.

June cruises down the road at a speed of 61.2 km/hr, and approaches the intersection just as the traffic light turns yellow. She is 29 meters away from the rear side of the intersection. Should she try to stop, or should she speed up to cross the intersection before the light turns red? The car’s length is 10 meters, maximum deceleration is –5 m/s2, and its maximum acceleration is 0.6 m/s2. Ignore her reaction time.
Relevant Equations
Formula of displacement without time
image_2023-01-04_003402026.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
:welcome:

Is there more of your solution to come?

Likes paumndi
PeroK said:
:welcome:

Is there more of your solution to come?
my full solution is uploaded

paumndi said:
my full solution is uploaded
I thought the question was "should she stop or speed up"?

PeroK said:
I thought the question was "should she stop or speed up"?
yes it is

paumndi said:
yes it is
What's your answer?

PeroK said:
What's your answer?
She has enough time to stop but not cross even if she speeds up. Though I am very unsure of my answer.

paumndi said:
She has enough time to stop but not cross even if she speeds up. Though I am very unsure of my answer.
It looks like a silly question to me. First, the driver can't know she is going at exactly ##61.2 \ km/h##. Nor, the car's braking and acceleration capability. Nor, the precise distance to the lights etc. Also, a car can't possibly be limited to an acceleration of ##0.6 \ m/s##.

PS now that I've seen the full question, it is quite sensible and is more or less asking for a) and b).

What it should ask a) if she brakes, where does she stop? b) If she speeds up, where is the rear of her car when the lights change to red.

In any case, that's what I think you should calculate explicitly. Then, draw a conclusion about which course of action is better.

Your first calculation looks correct: ##28.9 \ m##. Note that units are important.

Your second calculation: ##t = 33## makes no sense to me. And the units are missing.

In any case, neither is an answer to the question asked.

Last edited:
Likes BvU
image_2023-01-04_005253013.png

This is what they taught us and I was just using this guide to answer the question.

paumndi said:
This is what they taught us and I was just using this guide to answer the question.
I don't have an answer to that!

• Haha
Likes BvU
How far does the young lady go if she acccelerates ?

(and what is the speed limit :wink: ?)

##\ ##

BvU said:
How far does the young lady go if she acccelerates ?

(and what is the speed limit :wink: ?)

##\ ##
1672767013078.png

Can you answer this subquestion? Suppose she decides to stop. Can she stop in time?

vela said:
Can you answer this subquestion? Suppose she decides to stop. Can she stop in time?
i'm sorry, all the information i have is on the image

• Sad
Likes PeroK
PeroK said:
It looks like a silly question to me. First, the driver can't know she is going at exactly 61.2 km/h. Nor, the car's braking and acceleration capability. Nor, the precise distance to the lights etc. Also, a car can't possibly be limited to an acceleration of 0.6 m/s.
Not so silly or far fetched if you think that "June" might be an AI name like "Siri" and "Alexa". When "June" steers the car, all of the above are known to "her" including but not limited to, air speed, temperature, barometric pressure, and GPS coordinates. :eek:

paumndi said:
i'm sorry, all the information i have is on the image
Yes, we can see it too. How far does she go/where does she end up when she decides to brake ?

1. What are the key nutrients that children need in their diet?

Children need a balanced diet that includes protein, carbohydrates, healthy fats, vitamins, and minerals. Some important nutrients for children include calcium for strong bones and teeth, iron for healthy blood cells, and omega-3 fatty acids for brain development.

2. How can I encourage my child to eat more fruits and vegetables?

One way to encourage children to eat more fruits and vegetables is to involve them in meal planning and preparation. Let them choose their own fruits and vegetables at the grocery store and help them prepare them in fun and creative ways. You can also make fruits and vegetables easily accessible by cutting them into bite-sized pieces and keeping them in a visible spot in the fridge.

3. Is it okay for children to have sweets and treats?

It is okay for children to have sweets and treats in moderation. These should not be the main part of their diet, but it is important to allow them to enjoy these foods in small amounts. Teaching children about balance and moderation is key to developing healthy eating habits.

4. How much water should children drink in a day?

The amount of water children should drink in a day varies depending on their age, size, and level of physical activity. As a general guideline, children between the ages of 4-8 should drink about 5 cups of water per day, while children between the ages of 9-13 should drink about 7-8 cups per day.

5. Are there any foods that children should avoid?

Children should avoid highly processed and sugary foods, as well as foods high in saturated and trans fats. These foods provide little nutritional value and can contribute to health issues such as obesity and heart disease. It is important to focus on whole, unprocessed foods and limit the intake of unhealthy snacks and treats.