Heat conduction through sphere

In summary, a sphere with conductivity ##\kappa##, heat capacity per unit volume ##C## and radius ##R## obeys the differential equation at time t:Part (a): A sphere with a cavity of radius ##a## generates heat at a rate Q. Heat is lost from the outer surface of the sphere to the surroundings, with surrounding temperature ##T_s##, given by Newton’s Law of Cooling with constant ##\alpha## per unit area. Find the temperature ##T_a## at the surface of the cavity at thermal equilibrium.Part (b): A second sphere without a cavity generates heat uniformly at ##q## per unit volume. Like the first sphere,
unscientific

Homework Statement

In general, a sphere with conductivity ##\kappa##, heat capacity per unit volume ##C## and radius ##R## obeys the differential equation at time t:

[tex] C\frac{\partial T}{\partial t} = \kappa \frac{\partial^2 T}{\partial r^2} + \frac{2\kappa}{r}\frac{\partial T}{\partial r} [/tex]

Part (a): A sphere with a cavity of radius ##a## generates heat at a rate Q. Heat is lost from the outer surface of the sphere to the surroundings, with surrounding temperature ##T_s##, given by Newton’s Law of Cooling with constant ##\alpha## per unit area. Find the temperature ##T_a## at the surface of the cavity at thermal equilibrium.

Part (b): A second sphere without a cavity generates heat uniformly at ##q## per unit volume. Like the first sphere, heat is lost to the surroundings at its surface. Find temperature at the center of the sphere ##T_0## at equilibrium.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Part (a)

Heat generated in cavity = Heat loss at surface
[tex]Q = \alpha (T_s - T_R)(4\pi R^2) [/tex]
[tex]T_R = T_s - \frac{Q}{\alpha (4\pi R^2)} [/tex]

We will use this to solve for the constants in the differential equation later on.

At steady state, ##C\frac{\partial T}{\partial t} = \kappa \frac{\partial^2 T}{\partial r^2} + \frac{2\kappa}{r}\frac{\partial T}{\partial r} = 0##.

[tex]\frac{\partial^2 T}{\partial r^2} + \frac{2}{r}\frac{\partial T}{\partial r} = 0 [/tex]

Solving, we get:

[tex]T = A + \frac{b}{r}[/tex]

We need one more equation with the one for ##T_R## to solve for constants ##A## and ##B##.

Using ##\int \vec J \cdot d\vec S = k \int \nabla \vec T \cdot d\vec S##:
[tex]Q = -\kappa \frac{\partial T}{\partial r}(4\pi r^2)[/tex]
[tex]Q = 4\pi \kappa b[/tex]
[tex]b = \frac{Q}{4\pi \kappa}[/tex]

Solving for A:
[tex]A = T_s - \frac{Q}{4\pi \alpha R^2} - \frac{Q}{4\pi \kappa R} [/tex]

Together, temperature at surface of cavity is:

[tex]T_a = T_s - \frac{Q}{4\pi \alpha R^2} + \frac{Q}{4\pi \kappa}\left( \frac{1}{a} - \frac{1}{R} \right) [/tex]

Part(b)

I'm not sure how to approach this, as ##T = A + \frac{b}{r}## doesn't work at ##r=0##..

I have found the temperature at surface though:
[tex]Q = \frac{4}{3}\pi R^3 q = \alpha (T_s - T_R)(4\pi R^2)[/tex]
[tex]T_R = T_s - \frac{Rq}{3\alpha}[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to add the source term (q) in heat transfer partial differential equation.
You then again solve for the steady state solution.

maajdl said:
You need to add the source term (q) in heat transfer partial differential equation.
You then again solve for the steady state solution.

I don't understand what you mean. And is this for part (a) or part (b)?

I think you made a sign mistake in the Newton's law of cooling (part a). For part b you need a source term. That means you will solve the non-homogeneous heat conduction differential equation.

Likes 1 person
unscientific said:
I don't understand what you mean. And is this for part (a) or part (b)?

This is for part b.

[tex] C\frac{\partial T}{\partial t} = \kappa \frac{\partial^2 T}{\partial r^2} + \frac{2\kappa}{r}\frac{\partial T}{\partial r} + q [/tex]

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
dauto said:
I think you made a sign mistake in the Newton's law of cooling (part a). For part b you need a source term. That means you will solve the non-homogeneous heat conduction differential equation.

For part (a), is the sign error here:

[tex]Q = \alpha (T_s - T_R)(4\pi R^2)[/tex]

It should be ##T_r - T_s##, since the sphere is hotter. Other than that, is the rest of my working fine?

For part (b), I read up more on the chapter and I realized there should be a source per-unit-volume term per unit time term.

Thanks alot!

dauto said:

I have given this question another go. At steady state, the DE now becomes:

[tex]\kappa \frac{\partial^2T}{\partial r^2} + 2\frac{\kappa}{r} \frac{\partial T}{\partial r} + q = 0 [/tex]

Since the homogeneous solution is ##A + \frac{b}{r}##, we now seek the inhomogeneous solution.

I try ##\beta r^2## where I found ##\beta = -\frac{q}{6k}##.

So the solution for T is:
[tex]T = A + \frac{b}{r} - \frac{q}{6k}r^2[/tex]

But now as ##r \rightarrow \infty##, ##T\rightarrow \infty##..

1. What is heat conduction through a sphere?

Heat conduction through a sphere is the transfer of thermal energy from one side of a spherical object to the other through direct contact. This process occurs when there is a temperature difference between the two sides of the sphere, causing heat to flow from the hotter side to the cooler side.

2. How does heat conduction through a sphere differ from other shapes?

The shape of an object affects the way heat is transferred. In the case of a sphere, the heat flows radially from the center to the surface, whereas in other shapes such as a cylinder or cube, the heat flows in a more complex manner through different surfaces.

3. What factors affect heat conduction through a sphere?

The rate of heat conduction through a sphere is influenced by several factors such as the thermal conductivity of the material the sphere is made of, the temperature difference between the two sides of the sphere, and the thickness of the sphere.

4. How is heat conduction through a sphere calculated?

The rate of heat conduction through a sphere can be calculated using the Fourier's Law of Heat Conduction, which states that the rate of heat transfer is directly proportional to the temperature difference and the surface area, and inversely proportional to the thickness of the sphere and the thermal conductivity of the material.

5. What are some real-life applications of heat conduction through a sphere?

Heat conduction through a sphere has many practical applications, such as in cooking utensils like pots and pans, where the heat from the stove is transferred to the food through the metal of the pot. It is also used in heat exchangers, where hot fluids transfer their heat to cooler fluids through a series of spherical tubes. In addition, heat conduction through a sphere is also an important concept in thermodynamics and heat transfer engineering.