Heat equation integral - Fourier Series coefficient is zero

In summary, the problem at hand is to find the equation for the temperature along a thermally insulated metallic bar with a temperature of 0 ºC, after two thermal sources at -10 ºC and 10 ºC are applied at either end. The equation for temperature (T) is given by T(x,t)= u_l(x) + u(x,t), where u_l is the initial temperature distribution and u is the solution to the heat equation. The problem arises when trying to find the coefficient b_n for the Fourier series expansion of u, as the integral will be equal to zero. Converting to Kelvin may help solve the issue, but it is unclear why a negative temperature would break physics for the heat equation.
dumbdumNotSmart

Homework Statement

WE have a thermally insulated metallic bar (from enviroment/surroundings) . It has a temperature of 0 ºC. At t=0 two thermal sources are applied at either end, the first being -10 ºC and the second being 10 ºC. Find the equation for the temperature along the bar T(x,t), in function of position and time.

Homework Equations

$$ T(x,t)= u_l(x) + u(x,t)$$
$$ u_l = -10+x*20/L $$
$$ u(x,t)=\sum ( a_n cos(kx)+b_n sin(kx) )*e^{-t(kc)^2}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

So this is a heat equation problem and we have the variables we need. If we consider the extremes of the bar are heated to the thermal sources temperature instantly, then we have #a_n=0# through evalutating T at x=0, t=0. We then evaluate T at x=L, t=0 and so we have ##k=\pi n /L##.

The problem arises when I go looking for ##b_n## because the integral will be equal to zero! According to my knowledge on the subject, to find ##b_n## I have to integrate ##sin(kx)## times the function for temperature at t=0 along x, which is zero at every point except the extremes! Naturally I'd try to convert to Kelvin, but it just doesn't make sense to me that I'd have to do that for it to work, why would a negative temperature break physics for the heat equation?

Edit: I'm almost sure I'm declaring the integral for ##b_n## wrong. I never really understood what the function I was putting inside the integral was when doing heat equation.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
dumbdumNotSmart said:
which is zero at every point except the
No it isn't. You are expanding u in the series - not T.

1. What is the Heat Equation Integral?

The Heat Equation Integral is a mathematical formula used to describe the flow of heat in a given system. It takes into account factors such as temperature, time, and the physical properties of the system.

2. What does it mean for a Fourier Series coefficient to be zero?

A Fourier Series coefficient is a mathematical constant that represents the contribution of a certain frequency to a periodic function. If a coefficient is zero, it means that the corresponding frequency does not contribute to the function and can be ignored in the overall calculation.

3. How is the Heat Equation Integral related to Fourier Series coefficients?

The Heat Equation Integral can be solved by using a Fourier Series expansion, where the coefficients are determined by the initial conditions and physical properties of the system. These coefficients then help to describe the heat flow in the system over time.

4. What does it mean if a Fourier Series coefficient is zero in the Heat Equation Integral?

If a Fourier Series coefficient is zero in the Heat Equation Integral, it means that the corresponding frequency does not contribute to the flow of heat in the system. This could be due to boundary conditions or physical properties that limit the influence of that frequency.

5. How can a scientist use the Heat Equation Integral and Fourier Series coefficients in their research?

The Heat Equation Integral and Fourier Series coefficients are commonly used in areas such as heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and signal processing. Scientists can use these concepts to model and understand the behavior of heat and other phenomena in various systems, and make predictions or optimizations based on their findings.