How Does Temperature Equilibrate in Mixed Metal and Water Systems?

In summary: The specific heats of aluminum and iron are given and calculations are done to find the values. Some discrepancies are noted and discussed.
Karol

Homework Statement

An aluminum vessel of 500 gr contains 117.5 gr water at 200C. a piece of iron of mass 200 gr and 750C is thrown inside. what's the final temperature and the water equivalent of the vessel.

Homework Equations

Specific heat of aluminum: 0.217
Specific heat of iron: 0.113

The Attempt at a Solution

##(500\cdot 0.217+117.5)(t-20)=200\cdot 0.113 (75-t)\rightarrow t=25^0##
The answer should be 230C.
The water equivalent:
##500\cdot 0.217=m=108.5 gr##
The answer should be 110 gr

Physics news on Phys.org
I make it 25°. The difference may be explained by use of S.H. values slightly different from those used by the textbook authors?

I'm seeing slightly different values for relative specific heats depending on where people round off or what standard they use or something or other.
I'm also thinking - check the book values from the chapter or any examples they give.

For the aluminum container... 500 g * 0,217 * 293 K = 31791
For the water...... 117,5 g * 1 * 293 K = 34428
For the iron...... 200 g * 0,113 * 348 K = 7865

Total ............. = 74084

Now, 74084 / ((500 *0,217)+(117*1)+(200*0,113)) = 298,6 K = 25,6 ºC

I don't know this equation: mass (x) specific heat (x) deg. kelvin, what are the units of the result? calories? or is it just a mathematical trick, some kind of a mean.
I only know: mass (x) specific heat (x) [itex]\Delta t[/itex]

Karol said:
I don't know this equation: mass (x) specific heat (x) deg. kelvin, what are the units of the result? calories? or is it just a mathematical trick, some kind of a mean.
I only know: mass (x) specific heat (x) [itex]\Delta t[/itex]

It's a 'weighted mean'. Useful for a lot of things. The units don't matter, but they are cal, since [grams * (cal/(grams * K)) *K] simplify to cal...

Thanks

1. How does heat exchange occur in a bath?

Heat exchange in a bath occurs through three main mechanisms: conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction is the transfer of heat between objects that are in direct contact, such as when your body comes in contact with the hot water in the bath. Convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of fluids, such as when the heated water in the bath rises and is replaced by cooler water. Radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves, such as when you feel warm from the heat radiating off of the water in the bath.

2. What factors affect the rate of heat exchange in a bath?

The rate of heat exchange in a bath is affected by several factors, including the temperature difference between the bath water and the object (such as your body) in contact with it, the surface area of the object, the type of material the object is made of, and the type of medium (such as water or air) that is facilitating the heat exchange.

3. How can I improve the heat exchange in my bath?

To improve heat exchange in your bath, you can adjust the temperature of the water to be closer to your body's temperature, increase the surface area of your body in contact with the water (e.g. by submerging more of your body), or use materials with higher thermal conductivity, such as metal bath tubs.

4. Why does the bath water eventually cool down even if the room temperature remains constant?

This is due to the second law of thermodynamics, which states that heat will always flow from a warmer object to a cooler object until both objects reach the same temperature. In the case of a bath, the warm water will continue to lose heat to the cooler room until both reach the same temperature.

5. How can I calculate the rate of heat exchange in my bath?

The rate of heat exchange in a bath can be calculated using the formula Q = mcΔT, where Q is the heat exchanged, m is the mass of the water, c is the specific heat capacity of water, and ΔT is the change in temperature. Additionally, the rate of heat exchange can also be affected by the thermal conductivity of the materials involved, which can be incorporated into the calculation using the formula Q = kAΔT/l, where k is the thermal conductivity, A is the surface area, ΔT is the change in temperature, and l is the thickness of the material.