How Does Heat Transfer Into a Sphere Over Time?

In summary: If not, I suggest looking into some software that can help you with this type of simulation. For example, the software Matlab has a built-in function to do this type of simulation.
strokebow
Hi,

I am looking to simulate a very - seemingly - simple case.
Any advice on a software package would be helpful - preferably gui which doesn't have a steep learning curve.

I want to model the heat flux into a sphere from the outside. The dimensions of the sphere are not important to me. I want to see how heat flow progresses into the sphere from the outside. For example, if the sphere was at temperature of 20 degs c. Then if the the outside temperature was 50 degs c, I would like to show how the heat transfers into the sphere over a given time period. Moreover, I would like to find out the point at which steady state is occurred.

I would then like to contrast that to the case of a cylinder (same radius as the sphere) but with a very short length. I.E. so that it approximates taking a slice through that sphere. I want to apply the same test to this circular slice, to show how the heat transfer takes a shorter time to reach steady state.

Any thoughts/suggestions are most welcome?

Science news on Phys.org
strokebow said:
Hi,

I am looking to simulate a very - seemingly - simple case.
Any advice on a software package would be helpful - preferably gui which doesn't have a steep learning curve.

I want to model the heat flux into a sphere from the outside. The dimensions of the sphere are not important to me. I want to see how heat flow progresses into the sphere from the outside. For example, if the sphere was at temperature of 20 degs c. Then if the the outside temperature was 50 degs c, I would like to show how the heat transfers into the sphere over a given time period. Moreover, I would like to find out the point at which steady state is occurred.

I would then like to contrast that to the case of a cylinder (same radius as the sphere) but with a very short length. I.E. so that it approximates taking a slice through that sphere. I want to apply the same test to this circular slice, to show how the heat transfer takes a shorter time to reach steady state.

Any thoughts/suggestions are most welcome?
Are you familiar with the transient heat conduction equation in spherical coordinates?

1. What is "heat transfer into a sphere"?

Heat transfer into a sphere refers to the movement of thermal energy from a source to a spherical object. This can occur through conduction, convection, or radiation.

2. How does heat transfer into a sphere occur?

Heat transfer into a sphere can occur through conduction, where heat energy moves through direct contact between the sphere and a warmer object. It can also occur through convection, where heat is transferred through the movement of fluids or gases. Lastly, heat transfer can occur through radiation, where thermal energy is transferred through electromagnetic waves.

3. What factors affect heat transfer into a sphere?

The rate of heat transfer into a sphere is affected by several factors, including the temperature difference between the sphere and the heat source, the thermal conductivity of the material the sphere is made of, the surface area of the sphere, and the distance between the sphere and the heat source.

4. What is the formula for calculating heat transfer into a sphere?

The formula for calculating heat transfer into a sphere is Q = kA(T2 - T1)/d, where Q is the heat transferred, k is the thermal conductivity of the material, A is the surface area of the sphere, T2 is the temperature of the heat source, T1 is the temperature of the sphere, and d is the distance between the sphere and the heat source.

5. Why is understanding heat transfer into a sphere important?

Understanding heat transfer into a sphere is important in fields such as engineering, meteorology, and materials science. It allows us to predict and control the temperature of spherical objects, which is crucial in many industrial and scientific applications. It also helps us understand the dynamics of heat transfer in various systems, which can lead to more efficient and sustainable solutions.