Heaviside step function, signal and systems

In summary, the even part of the given discrete time signal is 0 for n = 0 and n = 6, and 1 for all other values of n. This is determined by finding the even part of the signal, which is equal to 1/2 times the sum of the signal and its time-reversed version. By defining two new signals, z[n] and k[n], and setting their sum to 0, the values for which the even part is 0 can be found. The answer is correct and the understanding of the concepts is clear.
Jncik

Homework Statement

given this discrete time signal

x[n] = u[n] - u[n-6]

find for which n the even part of x is 0

The Attempt at a Solution

the even part is

x' = 1/2(x[n] + x[-n]) = 1/2(u[n] - u[n-6] + u[-n] - u[6-n])

now i find that

u[n] + u[-n] is 2 for n = 0 and 1 for n != 0
u[n-6] + u[6-n] is 2 for n = 6 and 1 for n!=6

let z[n] = u[n] + u[-n]
k[n] = u[n-6] + u[6-n]

we want to find where 1/2 * (z[n] - k[n]) = 0 => z[n] - k[n] = 0

this is
0 for n != 0 and n!=6
1 for n = 0
-1 for n = 6

is this correct? I am new to this thing.. if you can please help me :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Your reasoning makes sense to me... is there some reason you suspect that your answer is wrong?

diazona said:
Your reasoning makes sense to me... is there some reason you suspect that your answer is wrong?

No not really, I just wasn't 100% sure for my answer, my book didnt really have any answers and i needed to know if i understood these simple concepts.. thanks for your help now I can move on :)

1. What is the Heaviside step function?

The Heaviside step function, also known as the unit step function, is a mathematical function that is defined as 0 for negative input values and 1 for non-negative input values. It is often denoted as H(x) or u(x) and is used to represent a sudden change or "step" in a system.

2. How is the Heaviside step function used in signal processing?

In signal processing, the Heaviside step function is used to model and analyze systems that exhibit abrupt changes or discontinuities, such as in electrical circuits or control systems. It is also commonly used to define other important functions, such as the unit impulse function and the unit ramp function.

3. What is the relationship between the Heaviside step function and the unit impulse function?

The unit impulse function, also known as the Dirac delta function, is defined as the derivative of the Heaviside step function. This means that the impulse function can be thought of as the "derivative" of the step function, and is often used in signal processing to represent a short, instantaneous burst of energy or a point source.

4. Can the Heaviside step function be applied to continuous systems?

Yes, the Heaviside step function can be applied to both discrete and continuous systems. In continuous systems, the step function is often used to model a change in the output of a system due to a change in the input, such as a sudden increase or decrease in temperature.

5. What is the Laplace transform of the Heaviside step function?

The Laplace transform of the Heaviside step function is 1/s, where s is the complex variable used in the transform. This means that when applying the Laplace transform to a system that includes a step function, the transform can be simplified by using this property and the system can be analyzed more easily.