Heavy metals detection process

In summary, the speaker has already conducted an experiment for detecting heavy metals and the last step involves using atomic absorption spectroscopy to absorb the analyte. The first step is to digest the water sample using nitric acid, and the choice of acid depends on the type of heavy metal being targeted. The speaker was corrected on their understanding of AAS and the properties of sulfates and chlorides.
Henokh96
I already done an experiment for detecting the presence of heavy metals(copper and lead) .

The last step for detection is through the absorption of analyte by atomic absorption spectroscopy.

Before that step to be done, the first process is to digest the water sample in the fume chamber.

And my question is that why on Earth are we using nitric acid for the digestion? Why not use the other types of acid?

If I am right , the reason why depends the type of heavy metal that we wanted to achieve .
Tell me if I am wrong :) tq

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You are wrong.

Likes Henokh96
OK, more seriously - sulfates tend to be insoluble, chlorides tend to be volatile.

Watch your language. This:

Henokh96 said:
absorption of analyte by atomic absorption spectroscopy

is wrong. AAS is not based on the "absorption of analyte".

Borek said:
You are wrong.
Further explanation might help sir

Borek said:
OK, more seriously - sulfates tend to be insoluble, chlorides tend to be volatile.

Watch your language. This:
is wrong. AAS is not based on the "absorption of analyte".
Atomized analyte correct?

1. What are heavy metals and why are they a concern?

Heavy metals are elements that have a high atomic weight and density, such as lead, mercury, and cadmium. They are a concern because they can be toxic to humans and the environment, and can accumulate in the body over time, leading to various health issues.

2. How are heavy metals detected in a sample?

There are various methods for detecting heavy metals in a sample, such as atomic absorption spectroscopy, inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry, and X-ray fluorescence. These methods use specific instruments and techniques to analyze the sample and determine the presence and concentration of heavy metals.

3. What is the process for preparing a sample for heavy metal detection?

The sample preparation process includes collecting a representative sample, homogenizing it, and possibly digesting it to break down any complex molecules. This ensures that the sample is in a form that can be accurately analyzed for heavy metals.

4. Can heavy metal contamination be prevented?

While heavy metal contamination is a widespread issue, it can be prevented through proper waste management, using alternative materials in manufacturing processes, and implementing regulations and guidelines for heavy metal usage and disposal.

5. How do scientists determine safe levels of heavy metals in food and water?

Scientists use various risk assessment methods to determine safe levels of heavy metals in food and water. This includes considering factors such as exposure levels, toxicity, and potential health effects. These safe levels are then used to set regulations and guidelines for heavy metal levels in food and water sources.