What is the Best Formula for Calculating Thrust in Helicopter Design?

In summary, the conversation is about designing a helicopter with a unique design and keeping it cheap and small like a toy. The person is a beginner and needs guidance on designing and choosing the right formula for the thrust of the rotar. They have found a formula but are unsure if it is correct and how to steer the helicopter.
jack001
Hey, i am designing a helicopter having a bit different design. (If you have any design then suggest me but remember, i have to built it by my own.) and you i have to make it cheap and small just like a toy.
I am a beginner so guide me if i am wrong and suggestion are most welcomed.

Now i have done some designing which doesn't looks that nice and yes i am not good at designing on paper too.
I am concerned about the thrust of the rotar placed on both the sides. There are twin blades two propeller rotating in opposite direction on same axis as shown in figure.
So what formula should i use as i googled and found many.

Finally i stuck at this formulae for further work:

T=[(eta*p)^2*2*pie*R^2*rho]^0.3333

where,
T= thrust(in Newtons)
eta= propeller hover efficiency
=0.7-0.8 is typical for uninstalled low pitch props
p=shaft power
pie=3.14159
R= propeller radius(in metres)
rho= air density=1.22 kg/m^3

in this equation nos of prop is not mentioned so should i doubled what my answer comes?

Engineering news on Phys.org
[PLAIN]http://frendzcube.tk/attachments/14102011015-1318556519.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
hey, and help me out how will i steer it left or right.

1. What is the main purpose of helicopter design?

The main purpose of helicopter design is to create a vehicle that can achieve vertical takeoff and landing, as well as hover and fly in any direction. This requires a complex design that includes elements such as rotors, engines, and controls.

2. What factors are considered when designing a helicopter?

When designing a helicopter, factors such as aerodynamics, weight and balance, power and propulsion, and structural integrity must be carefully considered. These elements work together to ensure the helicopter can safely and efficiently achieve flight.

3. How does the shape of the rotor blades affect helicopter design?

The shape of the rotor blades is crucial in helicopter design, as it determines the amount of lift and thrust the helicopter can generate. The angle, length, and profile of the blades are all carefully calculated to achieve optimal performance.

4. What are the challenges in designing a helicopter?

Designing a helicopter presents several challenges, including balancing weight and lift, minimizing vibration and noise, and ensuring stability and control. Additionally, the complex mechanics and aerodynamics involved in helicopter flight require extensive testing and fine-tuning during the design process.

5. How has helicopter design evolved over time?

Helicopter design has evolved significantly since its inception in the early 1900s. Advances in technology have led to more efficient and powerful engines, lightweight materials, and advanced control systems. These advancements have greatly improved the safety and capabilities of helicopters, making them an integral part of modern transportation and military operations.