Helmholtz Theorem: What It Is & How It Works

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about integrals and the relationship between different operators. One person simplifies the integrals and asks for others to contribute. Another person raises a question about the relationship between the primed and non-primed coordinates in an equation. The author makes an assumption about the decrease of a function in an integral and it is suggested that this should be mentioned in the theorem statement.
golfingboy07
Hi everyone!

This question has me a little stumped.

Attachments

• Question.doc
    22 KB · Views: 263
Physics news on Phys.org
Let's work on this together. On my side, I "simplified" the 2 original integrals to

[tex]=\frac{1}{4\pi}\int_V \frac{\nabla _s \cdot \vec{F}(\vec{x}_s)}{R^2}\hat{R} \ d^3x_s - \frac{1}{4\pi}\int_V \frac{\nabla _s \times \vec{F}(\vec{x}_s)}{R^2} \times \hat{R} \ d^3x_s[/tex]

Anyone else care to contribute?

Last edited:
On the other hand, take just the first integral. Isn't it just 0?

[tex]\nabla_t \int_V \nabla_s \cdot \left( \frac{\vec{F}(\vec{x}_s)}{R} \right) \ d^3x_s = \nabla_t \int_{\partial V} \left( \frac{\vec{F}(\vec{x}_s)}{R} \right)\ \cdot \ \hat{n} \ d^2x_s \rightarrow \nabla_t 0=0[/tex]

just by taking V sufficiently large.

?!

Last edited:
See the attached file.

Pete

Attachments

• Helmholtz Theorem - MS Word.doc
    93.5 KB · Views: 320
Did you write this Pete?

There's something I don't get at all:

Equation (10c): " [itex]\nabla[/itex] and [itex]\nabla '[/itex] are related by [itex]\nabla = -\nabla '[/itex] "

How can they be related since the primed coordinates and the non-primed are not related?

Also, in the last paragraph of page 3,

"Regarding the first integral on the right; as the radius of the surface increases as r then the area of the surface increases as r². However the integrand decreases as r³. Therefore as we let the radius go to infinity we see that the first integral vanishes."

The author seems to be making the assumption that F decreases as r², something that was not mentionned in the original statement of the theorem.

It's a detail important to mention imo.

quasar987 said:
Did you write this Pete?

There's something I don't get at all:

Equation (10c): " [itex]\nabla[/itex] and [itex]\nabla '[/itex] are related by [itex]\nabla = -\nabla '[/itex] "

How can they be related since the primed coordinates and the non-primed are not related?

In this case, it's because the operator is being used on [tex] \frac{1}{|r - r'|} [/tex]. So, the derivates of [itex] r - r' [/itex] wrt to primed coordinates, are the negative of the derivates wrt to unprimed.

I don't see how it how they are related like that in any other case, except when they operate on functions of [itex] r - r' [/itex].

"Regarding the first integral on the right; as the radius of the surface increases as r then the area of the surface increases as r². However the integrand decreases as r³. Therefore as we let the radius go to infinity we see that the first integral vanishes."

The author seems to be making the assumption that F decreases as r², something that was not mentionned in the original statement of the theorem.

It's a detail important to mention imo.

Yeah, I think that the argument should be the other way around. If that integral should converge, then F should decrease as 1/r^2 or faster.

Last edited:

Related to Helmholtz Theorem: What It Is & How It Works

What is the Helmholtz Theorem?

The Helmholtz Theorem is a fundamental principle in vector calculus that states that any vector field can be decomposed into two components: a solenoidal component and an irrotational component.

Who discovered the Helmholtz Theorem?

The Helmholtz Theorem was first proposed by German physicist and physician Hermann von Helmholtz in the 19th century.

What is a solenoidal component?

A solenoidal component is a vector field that has zero divergence, meaning that the net flow of the vector field through any closed surface is equal to zero. This component is often referred to as the "curl-free" component.

What is an irrotational component?

An irrotational component is a vector field that has zero curl, meaning that the vector field does not rotate or swirl around any point. This component is often referred to as the "divergence-free" component.

How is the Helmholtz Theorem used in science?

The Helmholtz Theorem has many applications in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields. It is used to model fluid flow, electromagnetism, and other phenomena that can be described by vector fields. It is also used in the development of numerical methods for solving differential equations.