Help, a very basic physics problem.

In summary: I can't get the answer in the book lol.In summary, the conversation discusses how an object moves with a velocity of 3.7 m/s and how far it will go up a hill before stopping. The conversation also involves calculating the height of the hill using formulas for kinetic and potential energy. It is emphasized that energy is conserved in this scenario and the importance of understanding the formulas and their variables is highlighted. The conversation concludes with the understanding of how to calculate the height of the hill and the offer for further assistance from the expert.
Fishingaxe

Homework Statement

An object moves with the velocity of 3.7 m/s, ahead there is a "hill". How far up the "hill" will the object get before it stops? Calculate "h". Assume there is no friction.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I really don't know much about how to calculate these things, I've done google searchs without results, do you know of any formulas I can use? And please if you do know the formula and decides to share it with me, explain what the certain letters mean so I don't just read, mgh=19Kpf and have no idea what anything means. I am extremely new to physics but find it very interesting (and yes I know the "equation" I wrote above isn't a real one, I was just making a point :))

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What energy does the cart possesses while moving along the straight? What energy does it possesses when it is on the ramp? Relate these via energy conservation.

Well, since there is no friction, this implies that all the energy is conserved, with other words: energy will not get lost. So the total energy is constant.

In this case there are two kinds of energy: kinetic and potential.

Kinetic energy
The kinetic energy is determined by the amount of velocity and the mass something has.
The formula is: [itex]T=\frac{1}{2}mv^{2}[/itex]
T=kinetic energy
m=mass
v=velocity

Potential energy
The potential energy is determined by the mass, height and the gravitational acceleration.
[itex] V = mgh [/itex]
V = potential energy
m = mass
g = gravitational accelartion (about 9.8 when we are on the earth)
h = heigth

Initial situation
At the beginning we are on the ground, so our height is 0. Which makes the potential energy zero, because zero times something else remains zero. so we can say: E=T+V=T+0=T
So we only have kinetic energy: [itex]T=\frac{1}{2}mv^2[/itex], for simplicity I will say our mass m=1. Later on I will tell you why i did that.
So [itex]T=\frac{1}{2}*1*(3.7)^2=6.845 J[/itex] (energy is measured in Joules, or in short just "J")

Final situation
We get maximum height when the object stands still, just before he will fall down again. So his velocity is zero; E=T+V=0+V=V
[itex]V=mgh[/itex]. I said that m=1, but we could also have said that it was 4756853, it doesn't matter because it would have had the same effect on the potential energy. (a little detail, ask me if you don't understand what I mean)
So the potential energy has to be exactly 6.845 J since we stated that all the energy is conserved during the motion. From now on you should be able to calculate the height, IF you understood what I just wrote.

Hope I didn't make any mistakes, it's pretty late here.

Did you understand what I just wrote?

Last edited:
Electric Red, this forum does not allow full solutions to questions.

CAF123 said:
Electric Red, this forum does not allow full solutions to questions.

Oh, my mistake :blushing:. I read the FAQ but not yet all of it.
I will edit my post, thanks!
Could've been more embarrasing.

Electric Red said:
Well, since there is no friction, this implies that all the energy is conserved, with other words: energy will not get lost. So the total energy is constant.

In this case there are two kinds of energy: kinetic and potential.

Kinetic energy
The kinetic energy is determined by the amount of velocity and the mass something has.
The formula is: [itex]T=\frac{1}{2}mv^{2}[/itex]
T=kinetic energy
m=mass
v=velocity

Potential energy
The potential energy is determined by the mass, height and the gravitational acceleration.
[itex] V = mgh [/itex]
V = potential energy
m = mass
g = gravitational accelartion (about 9.8 when we are on the earth)
h = heigth

Initial situation
At the beginning we are on the ground, so our height is 0. Which makes the potential energy zero, because zero times something else remains zero. so we can say: E=T+V=T+0=T
So we only have kinetic energy: [itex]T=\frac{1}{2}mv^2[/itex], for simplicity I will say our mass m=1. Later on I will tell you why i did that.
So [itex]T=\frac{1}{2}*1*(3.7)^2=6.845 J[/itex] (energy is measured in Joules, or in short just "J")

Final situation
We get maximum height when the object stands still, just before he will fall down again. So his velocity is zero; E=T+V=0+V=V
[itex]V=mgh[/itex]. I said that m=1, but we could also have said that it was 4756853, it doesn't matter because it would have had the same effect on the potential energy. (a little detail, ask me if you don't understand what I mean)
So the potential energy has to be exactly 6.845 J since we stated that all the energy is conserved during the motion. From now on you should be able to calculate the height, IF you understood what I just wrote.

Hope I didn't make any mistakes, it's pretty late here.

Did you understand what I just wrote?

I think so, so since V = mgh = 6.845J we can calculate h like this: m=1 * g(9.81) * h = 6.845

That means that 9.81 * h should be 6.845. 6.845/9.81 = 0.6977m

So the height is 0.6977m. Is this correct?

And thank you so much for your help, I felt like you explained everything very thourough and it helped me understand it very clearly, you should become my teacher!

Great! You understood what I explained, yes your answer should be something like that. You used 9.81 in your final calculation, I used 9.8. That number depends on where you are on the earth, just google "gravitational accelaration".
Anyway, just pm me if you have more questions, or tell me when posted a new one. Glad to help you, it also helps me to rethink about stuff and I can improve my teaching-skills.

Electric Red said:
Great! You understood what I explained, yes your answer should be something like that. You used 9.81 in your final calculation, I used 9.8. That number depends on where you are on the earth, just google "gravitational accelaration".
Anyway, just pm me if you have more questions, or tell me when posted a new one. Glad to help you, it also helps me to rethink about stuff and I can improve my teaching-skills.

Absolutely I will, thanks again! You're a great teacher. I feel like I understand it perfectly and would have no problem with any similar problems again.

1. What is the definition of physics?

Physics is the branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It involves understanding how things behave and move in the natural world, and using mathematical equations to explain and predict these behaviors.

2. What are the fundamental laws of physics?

The fundamental laws of physics include Newton's laws of motion, the laws of thermodynamics, and the laws of electromagnetism. These laws describe the basic principles that govern the behavior of matter and energy in the universe.

3. How do I solve basic physics problems?

To solve basic physics problems, you need to follow a systematic approach. This involves identifying the known and unknown variables, choosing the appropriate equations, and solving for the unknown variable using algebraic manipulation. It is also important to pay attention to units and use the correct unit conversions.

4. What is the difference between scalar and vector quantities?

Scalar quantities are physical quantities that have only magnitude, such as mass, temperature, and distance. Vector quantities have both magnitude and direction, such as velocity, force, and displacement. It is important to distinguish between these two types of quantities when solving physics problems.

5. Why is physics important?

Physics is important because it provides a framework for understanding the natural world and the laws that govern it. It also plays a crucial role in technological advancements and innovations in various fields such as medicine, engineering, and energy production. Studying physics can also help develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.