Where on the hill does the projectile land?

In summary, a projectile is shot at a hill with an initial speed of 79 m/s and at an angle of 60° above the horizontal. The hill is approximated by a plane sloped at 19° to the horizontal, with the equation y = x tan(19°) − 110. To find where the projectile lands on the hill, the x and y coordinates as a function of time can be written as x = 79 cos(60°) t and d= (initial velocity)(time)-1/2(g)(t^2). Including gravity, the equation should be d= (initial velocity)(time)-1/2(g)(t^2).
TarPaul91

Homework Statement

A projectile is shot at a hill, the base of which is 320 m away. The projectile is shot at 60° above the horizontal with an initial speed of 79 m/s. The hill can be approximated by a plane sloped at 19° to the horizontal. The equation of the straight line forming the hill is
y = x tan(19°) − 110.
Where on the hill does the projectile land? (Answer is supposed to be in the form x, y.)

Homework Equations

y = x tan(19°) − 110.

The Attempt at a Solution

Write expressions for the x and y coordinates of the projectile as a function of time.
x = 79 cos(60°) t
I wasn't sure where to go from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
How would you describe the y-position of the projectile?

Orodruin said:
How would you describe the y-position of the projectile?
Would it be 79(sin 60) t or am I getting the concepts confused?

That would be correct if there was no gravity.

Orodruin said:
That would be correct if there was no gravity.
Oh, thanks. So then how do I factor for gravity?

What are your own thoughts regarding including gravity?

Orodruin said:
What are your own thoughts regarding including gravity?
Can I use the formula here d= (initial velocity)(time)+1/2(g)(t^2) or am I totally going in the wrong direction here?

TarPaul91 said:
Can I use the formula here d= (initial velocity)(time)+1/2(g)(t^2) or am I totally going in the wrong direction here?
You are going in the right direction, but something in your formula is not ...

Oh, the g should be negative, yes?

TarPaul91 said:
Oh, the g should be negative, yes?
You tell me. What would it mean if it was positive/negative?

1. How do you calculate the landing spot of a projectile on a hill?

The landing spot of a projectile on a hill can be calculated using the projectile's initial velocity, launch angle, and the height and slope of the hill. This can be done using mathematical equations and calculations based on the laws of motion and gravity.

2. Does the height of the hill affect where the projectile will land?

Yes, the height of the hill does affect where the projectile will land. The steeper the hill, the shorter the horizontal distance the projectile will travel before hitting the ground. A flatter hill will result in a longer horizontal distance traveled.

3. How does air resistance play a role in the landing spot of a projectile on a hill?

Air resistance can affect the trajectory of a projectile, causing it to deviate from its expected landing spot. However, on a hill, the effect of air resistance is minimal compared to the influence of gravity and the slope of the hill.

4. Can the landing spot of a projectile on a hill be predicted with 100% accuracy?

No, it is not possible to predict the landing spot of a projectile on a hill with 100% accuracy. This is because there are many variables that can affect the trajectory of the projectile, such as wind, air resistance, and surface conditions.

5. Is there a difference in calculating the landing spot on a hill compared to a flat surface?

Yes, there is a difference in calculating the landing spot of a projectile on a hill compared to a flat surface. On a hill, the slope of the hill must be taken into account, whereas on a flat surface, the trajectory can be calculated using simpler equations without factoring in slope.