Help applying summation convention to tensors(generalised Hooke's law)

In summary, the summation convention is a shorthand notation for writing linear combinations of terms with repeated indices. When applied to the generalized Hooke's law, it means that each component of the stress tensor, represented by tau, is a linear combination of all strain components, represented by E, using the coefficients from the C tensor. This results in nine equations, one for each component of tau, which can be written in a more explicit form using summation notation.
K29
I understand the simplest application of the summation convention.

[itex]x_{i}y_{i}[/itex]

I create a sum of terms such that in each term the subscripts are the same i.e.
[itex]x_{1}y_{1}+x_{2}y_{2}+x_{3}y_{3}+...[/itex]

But now when I look at understanding summation convention applied to the generalised Hooke's law:

[itex]\tau _{ik}=C_{ikrs}E_{rs}[/itex]

I'm a bit unsure what this means. I understand that C is a tensor with 81 components and that by applying the summation convention I should get linear combinations for every [itex]\tau[/itex] component (I think). But as for applying summation convention to see what exactly those sums look like I'm unsure.

The statement below doesn't seem to help my understanding either

"[itex]\tau _{ik}[/itex] is a linear combination of all strain components [itex]E_{ik}[/itex]"

Any assistance would be appreciated.

The Attempt at a Solution

I could hazard I guess and say I only sum when r or s equals i or k, and when r=s and i=k. Still unsure if that is correct though.

Physics news on Phys.org
From your statement about C_ikrs having 81 components, I am assuming that each index ranges over 3 possible values i.e. i = {1,2,3}, and likewise for k, r and s. since only repeated indices are summed over, this means that i and k are not summed over, and you actually have nine different equations represented here, one for each component of tau. So just cycle through all the components of tau (ie all possible values of i and k ):

$$\tau_{11} = C_{1111}E_{11} + C_{1112}E_{12} + C_{1113}E_{13} + C_{1121}E_{21} + C_{1122}E_{22} + C_{1123}E_{23} + C_{1131}E_{31} + C_{1132}E_{32} + C_{1133}E_{33}$$

And that's just ONE of the nine equations. You still have to do the same for tau_12, tau_13, tau_21 et cetera.

If it helps, the NON shorthand way of writing your tensor expression would have been: $$ \tau_{ik} = \sum_{r=1}^3\sum_{s=1}^3 C_{ikrs}E_{rs}$$

Thank you for the help. Both replies helped me understand.

You are on the right track with your understanding of the summation convention. In general, the summation convention allows us to simplify the notation when working with tensors by replacing repeated indices with summation signs. So in the case of the generalised Hooke's law, we can rewrite it using the summation convention as:

\tau_{ik} = C_{ikrs}E_{rs} = \sum_{r=1}^{3}\sum_{s=1}^{3}C_{ikrs}E_{rs}

This means that for each component of \tau_{ik}, we sum over all possible combinations of r and s, which gives us a total of 9 terms (since there are 3 possible values for r and 3 possible values for s). This is where the statement "\tau_{ik} is a linear combination of all strain components E_{ik}" comes from, as each component of \tau_{ik} is a sum of products of the components of the C tensor and the E tensor.

To better understand this, let's look at a specific example. Let's say we want to calculate \tau_{11}. Using the summation convention, we have:

\tau_{11} = \sum_{r=1}^{3}\sum_{s=1}^{3}C_{11rs}E_{rs}

Now, since we are looking at \tau_{11}, we know that i=k=1. This means that for each term in the sum, r and s can take on the values of 1, 2, or 3. So for the first term, we have:

C_{1111}E_{11} = C_{11rs}E_{rs} (since r=s=1)

Similarly, for the second term, we have:

C_{1121}E_{21} = C_{11rs}E_{rs} (since r=1 and s=2)

And so on for the remaining terms. So in the end, we have:

\tau_{11} = C_{1111}E_{11} + C_{1121}E_{21} + C_{1131}E_{31} + C_{1112}E_{12} + C_{1122}E_{22} + C_{1132}E_{32} + C_{1113}E_{13} + C_{1123}E

1. What is the summation convention in tensor analysis?

The summation convention is a shorthand notation used in tensor analysis to simplify equations involving summations. In this convention, any repeated index in a product of tensors is automatically summed over all possible values, unless otherwise specified. This helps to reduce the number of terms in an equation and makes it easier to write and understand.

2. How is the summation convention applied to tensors?

To apply the summation convention to tensors, we simply replace any repeated indices with the summation symbol (Greek letter sigma). This indicates that the values of the tensor will be summed over all possible values for that index.

3. Can the summation convention be applied to any tensor equation?

Yes, the summation convention can be applied to any tensor equation, as long as the repeated indices are of the same type (i.e. both upper or both lower indices). If the indices are of different types, then the summation convention cannot be applied.

4. How is the summation convention used in generalised Hooke's law?

In generalised Hooke's law, the summation convention is used to simplify the equation by replacing the repeated indices with the summation symbol. This allows us to express the law in a more compact and concise form, making it easier to work with.

5. What are the benefits of using the summation convention in tensor analysis?

The summation convention helps to simplify equations in tensor analysis and make them more manageable. It also allows for a more concise and elegant representation of mathematical concepts. Additionally, the use of the summation convention can reduce the chances of errors in calculations and improve the clarity of the equations.