Understanding elastic tensor matrix intuitively

In summary, the generalized Hooke's law between stress and strain is given by the elastic tensor, which has 81 constants that are reduced to 9 in the isotropic case. The book Physical Properties of Crystals: Their Representation by Tensors and Matrices by J.F. Nye is highly recommended for a complete understanding of this subject. Nye explains how crystal symmetry leads to some of the components of the elastic tensor being zero or identical. Additionally, there are 2 independent parameters for the isotropic case and 9 independent parameters for the orthotropic case.
chiraganand
Hi, I know the generalized hookes law between stress and strain is given by the elastic tensor. This matrix has 81 constants which are reduced to 9 in the isotropic case. Can someone please help me to understand intuitively how this reduction in the elastic tensor takes place and why some of the components are zero? also can someone please help me to understand the einstein summation used in the naming of the elastic tensor?

Thankyou for your help

Engineering news on Phys.org
I recommend you take a look at the book Physical Properties of Crystals: Their Representation by Tensors and Matrices by J.F. Nye. This is one of the better books out there to give a complete understanding of the subject.

Charles Link said:
I recommend you take a look at the book Physical Properties of Crystals: Their Representation by Tensors and Matrices by J.F. Nye. This is one of the better books out there to give a complete understanding of the subject.
Thanks for your reply.. Do you have suggestions for any other books?

chiraganand said:
Thanks for your reply.. Do you have suggestions for any other books?
The book by Nye is one of the better ones that is somewhat well-known, but not as well as it should be, in my opinion. For your topic of interest, it really does a good job. Most other physics texts for the various topics are fairly well-known.

I concur; Nye says it all. There's a detailed description of how crystal symmetry forces many of the indices to be zero or identical.

Also, I think you mean 2 independent parameters for the isotropic case. There are 9 independent parameters for the orthotropic case.

Likes Charles Link

1. What is an elastic tensor matrix?

An elastic tensor matrix is a mathematical representation of the elastic properties of a material. It describes how the material responds to stress and strain, and is often used in engineering and materials science to understand the behavior of materials under different conditions.

2. How is the elastic tensor matrix calculated?

The elastic tensor matrix is calculated using experimental data or theoretical models. It is typically derived from measurements of the material's response to stress and strain, such as tensile tests, or from simulations using computational methods.

3. What information does the elastic tensor matrix provide?

The elastic tensor matrix provides information about the stiffness and strength of a material. It can also reveal how the material's properties change with direction, as it is a tensor and therefore accounts for anisotropy.

4. How can understanding the elastic tensor matrix be useful?

Understanding the elastic tensor matrix can be useful in a variety of applications, such as designing new materials with specific properties, predicting the behavior of materials under different conditions, and optimizing engineering designs for maximum performance and durability.

5. Are there any limitations to using the elastic tensor matrix?

Yes, there are some limitations to using the elastic tensor matrix. It assumes that the material is linearly elastic, meaning that its response to stress is proportional to the applied strain. It also does not account for plastic deformation or failure, which can be important in some applications.