Help Calculate Net Electric Force on Particle 3

In summary, the question asks for the x and y components of the net electrostatic force on particle 3, given the charges and distance between the particles. The solution involves using the equation for superposition of forces and breaking it down into x and y components. Some mistakes were made but the correct formulas were used.
UNG
SORRY POSTED UNDER WRONG TOPIC = Delete thanks

Homework Statement

Hi, I would appreciate it if someone could help me with this question, I am a n00b here
Please and thank you
Okay here's the question.

The particles have charges Q1 = -Q2 = 100nC and Q3 = -Q4 =200nC
and distance a = 5.0cm.

What are the x and y components of the net electostatic force on particle 3 ?

So basically a diagram is given with the question showing the 4 particles equally separated from each other at a distance of 5.0cm, making a square. And I have to find the force on particle 3.

Homework Equations

This is the equation I used.

F1,3 = (8.854x10^-12) x (Q1 x Q3)/0.0707xR^2 (0.0707 comes from Phyagrous therom)
H= (square root) 0.05^2 + 0.05^2
F1,4 = (8.854x10^-12) x (Q1 x Q4)/0.0707xR^2

Fnet = F1,3 + F1,4

= F1,3 + (8.854x10^-12) x (Q1 x Q3)/R^2 Cos 45 (45 degrees middle of square)
+ (8.854x10^-12) x (Q1 x Q4)/0.0707xR^2 Sin 45

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a feeling this is seriously wrong and have made it more complicated than it is.

I placed the values into the equation shown and came out with

= -79.46 x10^3 + 79.46 x10^3

Heres a site I found afterwards...
http://physics.bu.edu/~duffy/PY106/Charge.html

I think it might go a little something like that instead^^

If you could help that would be great thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey,

This is a rather straight-forward problem essentially all you need to do is sum up the forces on particle 3 in the x and y directions.

To get you started here is the general form for the superposition of forces (summing of force vectors).

[tex]
\sum{\vec{F}_{m}} = {\sum_{i=1}^{n}}{\vec{F}_{mn}}
[/tex]

So,

[tex]
\sum{\vec{F}_{3_{}}} = {\vec{F}_{31_{}}} + {\vec{F}_{32_{}}}
[/tex]

Breaking into the x-components,

[tex]
\sum{\vec{F}_{3_{x}}} = {\vec{F}_{31_{x}}} + {\vec{F}_{32_{x}}}
[/tex]

[tex]
\sum{\vec{F}_{3_{x}}} = {\left(\frac{{k_{e}}{|q_{3}|}{|q_{1}|}}{{{r}_{31}}^{2}}\right)}{cos{\theta_{31}}}{\hat{i}} + {\left(\frac{{k_{e}}{|q_{3}|}{|q_{2}|}}{{{r}_{32}}^{2}}\right)}{cos{\theta_{32}}}{\hat{i}}
[/tex]

From here you can use the symmetry of the problem to find your distances and evaluate.

Thanks,

-PFStudent

Last edited:
Thanks, those are the forumulas I used.

Made a silly few mistakes though

Related to Help Calculate Net Electric Force on Particle 3

1. What is the formula for calculating net electric force on Particle 3?

The formula for calculating net electric force on Particle 3 is Fnet = k * (q1 * q3)/d132, where k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q3 are the charges of the particles, and d13 is the distance between the particles.

2. How do I determine the direction of the net electric force on Particle 3?

The direction of the net electric force on Particle 3 is determined by the direction of the individual electric forces exerted by the other particles. If the forces are in the same direction, the net force will be in that direction. If the forces are in opposite directions, the net force will be the difference between the two forces.

3. Can the net electric force on Particle 3 be negative?

Yes, the net electric force on Particle 3 can be negative if the charges of the other particles are negative and the distance between them is small enough. This indicates that the force is attractive, pulling Particle 3 towards the other particles.

4. How does the distance between particles affect the net electric force on Particle 3?

The net electric force on Particle 3 is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the particles. This means that as the distance increases, the force decreases and vice versa. This relationship is known as the inverse-square law.

5. What is the unit of measurement for net electric force on Particle 3?

The unit of measurement for net electric force on Particle 3 is Newtons (N), which is a unit of force in the International System of Units (SI). It can also be measured in terms of electric field strength (N/C) or electric potential (V/m).