Help Choosing a Mobile Phone

• Thread starter Kostas Tzim
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mobile
In summary, the Galaxy Note 4 is a better phone than the Alcatel One Touch C9, but the Alcatel is cheaper. The Samsung Ace 4 LTE is a good phone, but it is overpriced.
Kostas Tzim
Hello guys happy new year, i need opinions on some mobile phones, I am thinking of buying alcatel one touch pop c9 or Samsung ace 4 LTE, i have searched and compred them but i cannot really choose, samsung is known as an original and good company but i think that the phones it produces are overpriced for what they offer, on the other hand this alcatel phone seems to have very good specifications but as far as i know alcatel isn't the best company out there...Any suggestions from users? and other phones that would be good? I don't want to spend over 200euros i think the max money i can afford is 180...but i'd prefer phones under this price..Maybe there are new phones coming soon because of the new year..i don't know..I'd really appreciate your help
thanks in advance :)

Computer science news on Phys.org
If I were to switch to Android I'd definitely go with Samsung. Have you been to a phone store and checked some out?

Ye, i already have...but...you know i couldn't really decide there.The problem with samsung is that this alcatel (one touch c9) seems to have better specs.and its cheaper...I was planning to buy a mobile from an asian online shop that has chinese phones which seem to be number 1 but i had not guarantee and i was afraid of my money..then on the other side o find Samsung phones kind of overpriced...i'd like more opinions...Are you a samsung user?

Kostas Tzim said:
Are you a samsung user?
No I have the iPhone 6 which I really enjoy

Likes Medicol
lol okay thanks by the way :)...So someone else? hehe

Maybe something like this? Preferably with about a three-foot whip antenna. o0)
http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/02/c0/7b/02c07b7a0f0e0114bb431957b9ef57df.jpg
02c07b7a0f0e0114bb431957b9ef57df.jpg

Likes Medicol
hahahahahahaha,good one

thanks!

It may be too late, but if you are switching to Android and buying an unlocked phone, do consider the Google Nexus. I have a Nexus 4 (no longer the latest) and absolutely love it. Because its from Google, you always get the latest Android updates. The Samsung phones are also really nice--but they have been branded by Samsung in certain annoying ways, so the software is a little odd. I love everything about the Nexus, including that I can move to another carrier if I want to.

Thanks for your answer i haven't bought a device yet, but i consider choosing one right now (january) is not that good an option. I decided to wait a little bit longer in order to see some new phones maybe. I like google nexus device especially 5 but i can't afford it, also samsung phones are really overpriced but sumsung is an authentic company. And I am really thinking of buying a phone from an asian supplier...sites like to2c.com or aliexpress or vickmall. but if i do that i have no guarantee :( Anyway id like to see what you think :) thanks for answering btw

I live in NJ and use the Google Nexus 4. I do not have a monthly plan or a data plan; instead, I have a pay-as-you-go account with T-Mobile. And I bought my phone "unlocked" and brought it toT-Mobile. I get by without paying for data because I live in a town where there is wifi at many places (and I have wifi at home). I don't have wifi all the time, of course, and so in some locations, I have no data, but I can still text and make voice calls. I pay about $150 total per year for voice calls and texting. The downside is, that T-Mobile has very good connectivity along major roadways and in cities, but not so much coverage in remote rural areas. So this would not work if you live off in the mountains or the boonies somewhere, but it would work in most major U. S. metropolitan areas.

T-Mobile is the only carrier that will let you pay-as-you-go without forcing you also to buy a data plan.

The Nexus 4 does not have the latest radios, and so I could not use it with Verizon, but the Nexus 5 does and could be used with most carriers. The Nexus 4 is available via eBay used for much less than a new one costs. I've seen them there for < $150 with the smaller memory size, which is enough for most people.

Another benefit to having a Google-branded phone, besides it always running the latest Android, is that it syncs with Google Calendar, Gmail and my Gmail contacts list. So I never lose data, even if I lose the phone. Google makes it all very, very easy. I had to turn off syncing on some Google apps because it was lowering my battery life, but that is easy to do in the settings. And, there is 0 ad-ware on a Google phone--and tons on a Samsung phone, so it seems.

I consider it a scandal what people have to pay for data plans. That said, I do occasionally really need data. So for that purpose, I have a pay-as-you-go hotspot device from T-Mobile. It is not even the latest device that they sell (only gets 3G not 4G data, but it's fast enough). I can buy a month's worth data from $30 - $60 depending on how much bandwidth I need. I am required to use it every three months or it expires and I have to go to a T-Mobile store to renew it, which is annoying but not the end of the world. I use it about twice per year. The disadvantage is that the hotspot is a separate device. The advantage is, you can connect like 10 devices simultaneously to the internet using a hotspot. And, it's signal coverage is about the same for T-Mobile--works well in cities, not so well in the boonies.

Last edited:

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a mobile phone?

When choosing a mobile phone, you should consider factors such as budget, operating system, brand, features, and network compatibility. Your budget will determine the price range of phones you can consider. The operating system will determine the user interface and available apps. Brand reputation can also be a factor in your decision. Features such as camera quality, battery life, and storage capacity should also be considered. Lastly, make sure the phone is compatible with your network provider.

2. Should I buy a new or used mobile phone?

This ultimately depends on your budget and personal preference. Buying a new phone may provide more peace of mind in terms of warranty and condition, but it also comes at a higher cost. Buying a used phone can save you money, but it's important to thoroughly check the condition of the phone before purchasing. Consider your needs and budget when making this decision.

3. What are the top mobile phone brands in the market?

The top mobile phone brands in the market vary depending on personal preference and region. Some popular brands include Apple, Samsung, Huawei, Xiaomi, and OnePlus. It's important to research and compare different brands to determine which one best fits your needs and budget.

4. How important is battery life when choosing a mobile phone?

Battery life is an important factor to consider when choosing a mobile phone, especially if you use your phone frequently throughout the day. Look for phones with larger battery capacities and quick charging capabilities. You can also read reviews or ask friends and family about their experiences with a particular phone's battery life.

5. Are there any specific features I should look for in a mobile phone?

This depends on your personal needs and preferences. Some common features people look for in a phone include a good camera, large storage capacity, waterproofing, and a long battery life. Others may prioritize features such as a headphone jack, expandable storage, or a specific operating system. Make a list of your must-have features before starting your search for a mobile phone.