Help clarifying capacitors, dielectrics, E field, potential

In summary: It is the amount of energy that is needed to move the charge from the low potential state to the high potential state.
Notaphysicsmajor
Hello there,

I was wondering if anyone wouldn't mind helping clarify what is occurring with a charged capacitor for me.

I understand that in a charged capacitor one conducting plate is negatively charged and one is positively charged due to the distribution or rearrangement of electrons. There is then an electric field that occurs in the space between the two plates, as well as potential energy.

Now perhaps I just need a quick review, but what's the difference between the electric field and the potential energy? I know that the electric field is force, and that potential energy is work, but what does that exactly mean? To me, electric field means that it is the force that will be applied to another charge if it were present. Potential energy is the amount of work done on a charge moving it from one position to another. Is this correct?

Now with dielectrics, I understand through the equation on why a dielectric or insulator increases the capacitance, but how does this do this exactly from a physics stand point? I understand that due to the differently charged capacitor plates there is an electric field that transpires and when the dielectric is added the charges will rearrange in that the positive ends will point towards the negatively charged capacitor plate while the negativel ends will be facing the positive capacitor plate. Is it because of the extra charges on the dielectric that allow the capacitor to hold more charges onto it due to the fact that it allows more charges to accumulate onto the capacitor plates since it will be able to pair or have an attraction with the charges on the dielectric? How does this affect the electric field and potential?

Physics news on Phys.org
Notaphysicsmajor said:
what's the difference between the electric field and the potential energy?
The electric field is the gradient of the potential: ##E=-\nabla \phi##

Notaphysicsmajor said:
Now perhaps I just need a quick review, but what's the difference between the electric field and the potential energy? I know that the electric field is force, and that potential energy is work, but what does that exactly mean? To me, electric field means that it is the force that will be applied to another charge if it were present. Potential energy is the amount of work done on a charge moving it from one position to another. Is this correct?
The electric field is not a force. Force is a push or a pull which is exerted on an object. The electric field is a vector that exists at every point in space. Suppose you choose a point anywhere, and the elctric field vector there is E. If you place a point charge q there, the force on the point charge is qE. If you place a different point charge there, the force will be different, even though the electric field is the same.
The change in electric potential energy is the negative of the work done by the electric force on the charge as the charge moves from one point to another.

What is a capacitor and how does it work?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in the form of an electric field. It consists of two conductive plates separated by a dielectric material. When a voltage is applied, one plate becomes positively charged and the other becomes negatively charged, creating an electric field between them. This stored energy can then be released when needed.

What is a dielectric and what role does it play in a capacitor?

A dielectric is an insulating material that is placed between the two plates of a capacitor. It acts as a barrier to prevent the flow of current between the plates, while still allowing the electric field to pass through. The type of dielectric used can affect the capacitance and other properties of the capacitor.

What is the E field and how does it relate to capacitors?

The E field, or electric field, is a measure of the strength and direction of an electric field at a given point. In a capacitor, the E field is created between the two plates and is directly proportional to the voltage applied and inversely proportional to the distance between the plates. It is responsible for storing the energy in the capacitor.

What is potential and how is it related to capacitors?

Potential, also known as voltage, is the measure of the electric potential energy per unit charge at a given point. In a capacitor, potential is created by the separation of charges on the plates and is directly proportional to the amount of charge stored on the plates. It is a key factor in determining the capacitance of the capacitor.

How do I calculate the capacitance of a capacitor?

The capacitance of a capacitor can be calculated using the equation C = Q/V, where C is the capacitance, Q is the charge stored on the plates, and V is the voltage applied. The type of dielectric, distance between the plates, and area of the plates can also affect the capacitance. Additionally, capacitance can be increased by connecting capacitors in series or parallel.