Help, comsol won't change my mesh size

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with changing the mesh size in Comsol while modelling a simple beam. The person has already tried changing the size to custom and filling in maximum element sizes, but nothing happens when they click "build all". They suspect there may be some missing settings or differences with a similar model that successfully changed the mesh size. Suggestions are given to check the "Study Settings" tab and reach out to Comsol's technical support team for further assistance.
RDelft
Hi guys,

I am modelling a simple beam and want to change the mesh size.

I changed the size to custom and filled in a maximum element sizes. Comsol doesn't give any alerts, it seems to go fine but when I click build all nothing happens.

Maybe I am missing some settings? I have compared all entries with a similar model and I've tried everything I can think of.

Can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Changing the mesh size can be a tricky task, but it is definitely possible to do in Comsol. It sounds like you have already taken the necessary steps by changing the size to custom and filling in the maximum element sizes. However, it is possible that there are some additional settings that need to be adjusted in order for the changes to take effect.

One thing you can try is checking the meshing settings in the "Study Settings" tab. Make sure that the "Automatic Remeshing" option is checked and that the "Maximum Number of Elements" is set to a value that is higher than the number of elements you are trying to create. You can also try increasing the "Maximum Number of Refinement Steps" if necessary.

If that doesn't work, it may be helpful to compare your settings with a similar model that successfully changed the mesh size. Pay attention to any differences in the settings that may be causing the issue.

If you are still having trouble, you can also try reaching out to Comsol's technical support team for further assistance. They may be able to provide more specific guidance based on your model and settings.

I hope this helps and good luck with your modeling! Let us know if you are able to successfully change the mesh size.

What could be causing Comsol to not change my mesh size?

There could be a few different reasons for this issue. One possibility is that there may be a problem with your mesh settings or parameters. Another possibility is that there may be an error or issue with your geometry or model. It's also possible that there may be a bug or glitch in the software. It's important to carefully review your settings and model to try and identify the root cause of the issue.

How can I troubleshoot this problem with Comsol not changing my mesh size?

There are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot this issue. First, double check your mesh settings and parameters to make sure they are set correctly. Next, try checking for any errors or warnings in your model. You can also try changing the mesh size manually in different sections of your model to see if that makes a difference. If none of these steps work, you can try reaching out to Comsol's technical support team for further assistance.

Is there a way to force Comsol to change my mesh size?

Yes, there is a way to manually specify the mesh size in Comsol. You can do this by selecting the "Manual" option in the mesh settings and entering the desired mesh size. Keep in mind that this may not always work as expected and could potentially cause issues with your model. It's best to try and identify the root cause of the issue and fix it rather than relying on manual adjustments.

Can I use a custom mesh size in Comsol?

Yes, Comsol allows for custom mesh sizes to be specified in the mesh settings. This can be useful if you have specific requirements for your mesh or want more control over the mesh size in certain areas of your model. However, keep in mind that using custom mesh sizes may require more computational resources and could potentially affect the accuracy of your results.

What are some best practices for using Comsol to change mesh size?

When working with mesh sizes in Comsol, it's important to carefully review your model and settings to make sure everything is set correctly. It's also a good idea to start with a coarse mesh and gradually refine it as needed. This can help prevent potential issues with the mesh and ensure more accurate results. Additionally, using the automatic meshing option can often save time and effort compared to manually adjusting the mesh size.