Help finding the angle between the force vector and line AO

In summary, the angle between the force vector and the line AO is 3.21 degrees and the magnitude of the projection of the force along the line AO is -6.03m.
Frankenstein19

Homework Statement

Find: The angle between the force vector and the line AO, and the magnitude of the projection of the force along the line AO

upload_2016-9-10_23-50-28.png

upload_2016-9-10_23-50-54.png

Homework Equations

cos(theta)=(A*B)/(|A|*|B|)

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that since I'm given the force F in cartesian form, that I would need to calculate the component of the force F on the line AO and then use the cos(theta)=(A*B)/(|A|*|B|) but that's not at all what my professor did or what I see other people doing.

I first calculated rao and got -1i+2j-2k and its magnitude to be 3m

Then I got the magnitude component of F along AO by finding the unit vector of rao and multiplying that using the dot product with F

Then now that I have the magnitude of FAO and the positio vector rao I thought I could then calculate FAO in cartesian vector form and THEN I thought I had everything I needed to get the angle by using
cos(theta)=(A*B)/(|A|*|B|) but I'm not getting the right answer

Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong

*Also I'm sorry about uploading so many attachments, I always have problems adding pictures and I don't know hot to remove the excess attachments*

Attachments

• 2016-09-10.png
    2016-09-10.png
    68.4 KB · Views: 804
  • 2016-09-10 (1).png
    2016-09-10 (1).png
    80 KB · Views: 628
  • 2016-09-10 (1).png
    2016-09-10 (1).png
    76 KB · Views: 682
Physics news on Phys.org
Your method should get the correct answer for theta. If it didn't, show your work so we can see the steps in detail.

Note that when using cos(theta)=(A*B)/(|A|*|B|) to find theta, you will get the same answer for theta if you replace the vector B by any other vector that has the same direction as B.

In your problem, the vector A is the force vector F. You teacher used the vector AO for B. You want to use the projection of F onto AO for B (where this projection is a vector in the same direction as AO). So, you should get the same answer for theta. You would also get the same answer for theta if you used the unit vector along AO for B.

TSny said:
Your method should get the correct answer for theta. If it didn't, show your work so we can see the steps in detail.

Note that when using cos(theta)=(A*B)/(|A|*|B|) to find theta, you will get the same answer for theta if you replace the vector B by any other vector that has the same direction as B.

In your problem, the vector A is the force vector F. You teacher used the vector AO for B. You want to use the projection of F onto AO for B (where this projection is a vector in the same direction as AO). So, you should get the same answer for theta. You would also get the same answer for theta if you used the unit vector along AO for B.
Thank you so much for answering. I'm going to show my work:irst I found the position vector rao, since the coordinates of A are (1, -2, 2) and O (0,0,0) the position vector is (0-1)i + (0+2)j + (0-2) which gives me -1i +2j -2k for rao.

Then I calculated the magnitudeand got 3m.

The unit vector for rao: -1/3i +2/3j -2/3k which is -0.33i + 0.67j - 0.67k

to get the component of F along AO I used the dot product with the cartesian vector F and with the unit vector of rao and got (-6i +9j +3k) dot -0.33i + 0.67j - 0.67k which gives me 1.98 + 6.03 -2.01= 6, this is I know is the magnitude of FAO, so to get FAO in cartesian vector form I multiplied -1i +2j -2k by 6 giving me -6i + 12j -12k as FAO in cartesian vector form.

the dot product of FAO and F gives me (-6i + 12j -12k) dot (-6i +9j +3k) = 108

cos(theta)=(A*B)/(|A|*|B|) = 108/(3*11.22) = 3.21

the arccos of that is invalid

Frankenstein19 said:
I found the position vector rao, since the coordinates of A are (1, -2, 2) and O (0,0,0) the position vector is (0-1)i + (0+2)j + (0-2) which gives me -1i +2j -2k for rao.
OK

Then I calculated the magnitudeand got 3m.

The unit vector for rao: -1/3i +2/3j -2/3k which is -0.33i + 0.67j - 0.67k
OK

to get the component of F along AO I used the dot product with the cartesian vector F and with the unit vector of rao and got (-6i +9j +3k) dot -0.33i + 0.67j - 0.67k which gives me 1.98 + 6.03 -2.01= 6, this is I know is the magnitude of FAO,
OK

so to get FAO in cartesian vector form I multiplied -1i +2j -2k by 6 giving me -6i + 12j -12k as FAO in cartesian vector form.
Shouldn't you use the unit vector along AO rather than AO itself in order to get the vector FAO?

the dot product of FAO and F gives me (-6i + 12j -12k) dot (-6i +9j +3k) = 108

cos(theta)=(A*B)/(|A|*|B|) = 108/(3*11.22) = 3.21
If A = -6i + 12j -12k and B = -6i +9j +3k, then A dot B is 108, as you found. But note that the magnitude of A is not 3.

For any arbitrary vectors A and B you should always find that (A*B)/(|A|*|B|) is less than or equal to 1.

TSny said:
OK

OK

OKShouldn't you use the unit vector along AO rather than AO itself in order to get the vector FAO?If A = -6i + 12j -12k and B = -6i +9j +3k, then A dot B is 108, as you found. But note that the magnitude of A is not 3.

For any arbitrary vectors A and B you should always find that (A*B)/(|A|*|B|) is less than or equal to 1.
Ohhh yes I don;t know why I was using the position vector instead of the unit vector to find the force vector. Thank you so much for helping me <3

1. What is the force vector and line AO?

The force vector and line AO are both mathematical concepts used in physics. The force vector refers to the direction and magnitude of a force, while line AO represents a line segment from point A to point O.

2. Why is it important to find the angle between the force vector and line AO?

The angle between the force vector and line AO is important because it helps determine the direction and intensity of the force acting on an object. It also allows for the calculation of other important quantities such as work and power.

3. How can I find the angle between the force vector and line AO?

The angle between the force vector and line AO can be found using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. The specific method will depend on the given information and problem context.

4. Can the angle between the force vector and line AO be negative?

Yes, the angle between the force vector and line AO can be negative. This indicates that the force vector and line AO are pointing in opposite directions.

5. What are some real-life applications of finding the angle between the force vector and line AO?

Finding the angle between the force vector and line AO is useful in many real-life situations, such as determining the optimal angle for a ramp or slope, calculating the force needed for an object to move up an incline, and understanding the direction and magnitude of forces acting on structures or machines.