Help finding the voltage in a uniform E-field

In summary, the conversation discusses the large electric fields across living cell membrane walls and poses a question about the voltage across a specific membrane thickness with a known electric field strength. The solution involves using the equation E=-Vd and yields a voltage of -9.24e6 V/m.
elowe93

Homework Statement

Membrane walls of living cells have surprisingly large electric fields across them due to separation of ions. What is the voltage across an 8.67-nm-thick membrane if the electric field strength across it is 9.16 MV/m? You may assume a uniform E-field.

Homework Equations

E=-Vd

The Attempt at a Solution

.00912V/m=-V/(8.67e-9m) =7.9e-11 V

Physics news on Phys.org
correction****

sorry i ment that for my answer i got -9.24e6 V/m. i was looking at the wrong thing.

Didn't you just post this exact same question?

I would suggest using the equation V = Ed to find the voltage in a uniform electric field. In this case, the electric field strength (E) is given as 9.16 MV/m and the thickness of the membrane (d) is 8.67 nm. Therefore, the voltage (V) can be calculated as V = (9.16 MV/m) x (8.67 nm) = 79.4 mV. This means that the voltage across the membrane is 79.4 millivolts.

Additionally, it is important to note that the electric field across a membrane is dependent on the separation of ions and the concentration of ions on either side of the membrane. Therefore, this voltage measurement may vary depending on the specific conditions of the living cell. Further research and experimentation may be needed to accurately determine the voltage across a cell membrane.

Related to Help finding the voltage in a uniform E-field

1. What is a uniform electric field?

A uniform electric field is a type of electric field where the magnitude and direction of the electric field is constant at all points in space. This means that the electric field lines are evenly spaced and parallel to each other.

2. How is the voltage in a uniform electric field calculated?

The voltage in a uniform electric field can be calculated by multiplying the electric field strength (E) by the distance (d) between two points in the field. This can be represented by the equation V = Ed.

3. What units are used to measure voltage?

Voltage is measured in volts (V) in the International System of Units (SI). In some cases, it may also be expressed in other units such as kilovolts (kV) or millivolts (mV).

4. How does the direction of the electric field affect the voltage?

The direction of the electric field does not affect the voltage in a uniform electric field. The voltage is solely determined by the strength of the electric field and the distance between two points in the field.

5. Can the voltage in a uniform electric field be negative?

Yes, the voltage in a uniform electric field can be negative. This occurs when the direction of the electric field is opposite to the direction of the force on a positive charge. In this case, the voltage is negative because the electric field is doing work on the charge, reducing its potential energy.