Help, first Brillouin zone and K points

In summary, the layout of k points in the 1st BZ is determined by the lattice periodicity and the size and shape of the crystal. The positions of k points form a "parallelogram lattice" in the 1st BZ, with basis vectors that can be found by solving the equation \exp(i \mathbf{ke}) = 1. In the case of a crystal with periodic boundary conditions, the basis vectors of the reciprocal lattice are very small, resulting in a dense distribution of k-points, which can be approximated as continuous in the k-space. Therefore, the actual positions of k-points have no physical significance and summations over k-points can be replaced by integrations in the k-space.
nicola_gao
As it's said, the number of k point in a first Brillouin zone is determined by the number of lattice sites. For exmaple, a 2-d n by m square lattice, its 1st BZ contains m by n k values and I assume these k values are equally separated.

My question is that how the layout of k point in the 1st BZ is determined? I mean, it's easy to think of a square lattice or a cubic structure. What about other shaped lattice, i.e. a triangular lattice?

Physics news on Phys.org
nicola_gao said:
As it's said, the number of k point in a first Brillouin zone is determined by the number of lattice sites. For exmaple, a 2-d n by m square lattice, its 1st BZ contains m by n k values and I assume these k values are equally separated.

My question is that how the layout of k point in the 1st BZ is determined? I mean, it's easy to think of a square lattice or a cubic structure. What about other shaped lattice, i.e. a triangular lattice?

The shape of the 1st BZ is determined by the lattice periodicity. Positions of k points in the Brillouin zone are determined by the size and shape of the crystal. Usually, periodic boundary conditions are applied on the crystal boundary, so the crystal as a whole is assumed to form a periodic unit cell. The size of this unit cell is huge, so the distance between k-points is very small. For all practical purposes one can assume that the crystal is infinite, and that actual positions of the k-points have no physical significance, and summations over k-points can be replaced by integrations in the k-space.

Eugene.

You construct the 1st BZ in the same way that you construct a Wigner-Seitz primitive cell. For a 2D triangular lattice (in k-space) of spacing c, this will give you a 1st BZ that is a regular hexagon of side [itex]c/\sqrt{3}[/itex]

meopemuk said:
The shape of the 1st BZ is determined by the lattice periodicity. Positions of k points in the Brillouin zone are determined by the size and shape of the crystal. Usually, periodic boundary conditions are applied on the crystal boundary, so the crystal as a whole is assumed to form a periodic unit cell. The size of this unit cell is huge, so the distance between k-points is very small. For all practical purposes one can assume that the crystal is infinite, and that actual positions of the k-points have no physical significance, and summations over k-points can be replaced by integrations in the k-space.

Eugene.

I am now constructing a crystal of theoretically finite size. Can I understand as that, for a triangular lattice, the positions of k points exactly form a "triangular lattice" too in the 1st BZ? Thanks a lot!

I don't know. I've never thought about finite sized lattices before. I'd have to start from scratch and see what happens.

Last edited:
nicola_gao said:
I am now constructing a crystal of theoretically finite size. Can I understand as that, for a triangular lattice, the positions of k points exactly form a "triangular lattice" too in the 1st BZ? Thanks a lot!

In the 2-dimensional case, a crystal cannot have the "triangular lattice". You probably meant a "parallelogram lattice". Each 2D crystal lattice has two basis vectors [itex]\mathbf{e}_1[/itex] and [itex]\mathbf{e}_2[/itex]. Arbitrary lattice sites are linear combinations of these vectors with integer coefficients [itex]\mathbf{e} = n\mathbf{e}_1 + m\mathbf{e}_2[/itex]. So, these sites form a "parallelogram" or a "distorted square" lattice.

The definition of the "reciprocal lattice" formed by [itex]\mathbf{k}[/itex]-vectors is such that

[tex]\exp(i \mathbf{ke}) = 1 [/tex]...(1)

You can find in any solid state theory textbook that vectors [itex]\mathbf{k}[/itex] also form a "parallelogram lattice" whose basis vectors can be easily found by solving eq. (1).

In the case of a crystal model with periodic boundary conditions, basis translation vectors [itex]\mathbf{e}_1[/itex] and [itex]\mathbf{e}_2[/itex] are very large (presumably infinite), which means that basis vectors of the reciprocal lattice [itex]\mathbf{k}_1[/itex] and [itex]\mathbf{k}_2[/itex] are very small, so the distribution of [itex]\mathbf{k}[/itex]-points is very dense (presumably continuous).

Eugene.

meopemuk said:
In the 2-dimensional case, a crystal cannot have the "triangular lattice". You probably meant a "parallelogram lattice".

The term triangular lattice is quite usual in solid state physics, especially in 2D spin models. There is nothing wrong about using that common term.

What is the first Brillouin zone and why is it important in scientific research?

The first Brillouin zone is a concept in solid state physics that represents the allowed range of electron momenta in a crystal lattice. It is important because it helps us understand the electronic properties of materials, such as their band structure and conductivity.

How do you determine the shape and size of the first Brillouin zone?

The shape and size of the first Brillouin zone depend on the symmetry of the crystal lattice. It can be determined using reciprocal lattice vectors and the symmetry of the crystal structure. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using mathematical equations and computer simulations.

What are K points and why are they used in the study of the first Brillouin zone?

K points, also known as special points or high symmetry points, are specific points in the first Brillouin zone that have high symmetry. They are used to simplify calculations and visualize the band structure of a material. K points also help us understand the periodic nature of the crystal lattice.

How do you plot K points in the first Brillouin zone?

K points are plotted by drawing lines connecting high-symmetry points in the first Brillouin zone. These lines form a grid that divides the zone into smaller sections. The number and placement of K points depend on the symmetry and complexity of the crystal lattice being studied.

What role do K points play in the calculation of material properties?

K points play a crucial role in the calculation of material properties, especially in the study of electronic properties. They help us understand the behavior of electrons in a crystal lattice, which is essential for predicting the properties of materials, such as conductivity, magnetism, and optical properties.