What materials can I use for an egg drop competition?

In summary, for an upcoming egg drop competition where the egg will be dropped from 3 meters, the participants are allowed to use only duct tape, hot glue, an egg, and 50 wooden craft sticks. While it may seem daunting at first, the purpose of the project is to use creativity and experimentation to find a solution. One suggestion is to try using a geodesic dome made with a large quantity of popsicle sticks.
An Luu
Hi,
I have a egg drop competition coming up, and I am only able to use:
Duct tape
Hot Glue
Egg
50 Wooden Craft Sticks
I have no idea where to begin. The egg will be dropped from 3 meters.
Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh, I remember doing this!

The whole point of this project is to use your ingenuity to find something that works. We aren't going to tell you how to do it! Just go out and buy a huuuuge container of popsicle sticks (they sell them really cheaply, if i recall correctly), and try some things. Pretty soon, you'll figure out what works best and what doesn't. Then you'll have some idea of where to begin.

think geodesic

1. What materials should I use for my egg drop contraption?

The materials you choose should be lightweight, yet strong and durable. Some commonly used materials include straws, popsicle sticks, cardboard, and plastic cups. You may also want to consider using materials that can absorb shock, such as bubble wrap or cotton balls.

2. How should I design my egg drop contraption?

When designing your contraption, it's important to consider the laws of physics, such as gravity and air resistance. Your design should also include a way to protect the egg from impact, such as a cushion or parachute. Be creative and think outside the box!

3. What is the best way to test my egg drop contraption?

The best way to test your contraption is to start with a small drop, such as from a table or ladder, and gradually increase the height. This will allow you to make any necessary adjustments and ensure that your contraption can withstand a higher drop without breaking the egg.

4. How can I increase my chances of winning the egg drop competition?

To increase your chances of winning, it's important to focus on the design and construction of your contraption. Make sure it is well-built and can withstand a high drop. You may also want to consider using multiple layers of protection, as well as incorporating any feedback or suggestions from previous competitions.

5. How can I make my egg drop contraption stand out?

One way to make your contraption stand out is to incorporate a unique and creative design. You could also use colorful materials or add decorations to make it visually appealing. Additionally, you could try using unconventional materials or a different approach to solving the problem. Just make sure that your contraption is still functional and able to protect the egg!