Help-How to Prove It, Sec.4.4, 18b

• Thread starter IntroAnalysis
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the frustration of feeling belittled by a professor when asking questions. In regards to the problem at hand, the person is seeking clarification on whether or not the proof for part a) can be applied to part b) of the problem. The expert advises that while the statement in part a) is true for all elements in A, it cannot be directly applied to part b) which deals specifically with maximal elements. The expert then provides guidance on how to approach solving part b) by using the definition of a maximal element. The conversation concludes with a reminder that it is always okay to ask for help and to keep persevering.
IntroAnalysis

Homework Statement

The real problem is my professor makes anyone who asks a question in class or office hours feel like a total idiot. I

Sec.4.4 Problem 18a) https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=541479

Could someone comment on whether it would be okay to use part a) in part b)?

Homework Equations

Above we proved, for all x element of A, x is an upper bound of B1 iff x is an upper bound of B2.
Can we use this in part b)? Although b) is talking about a maximal element instead of an upper bound. I think the only difference is that maximal element is part of the subset.

The Attempt at a Solution

Contra positive. Assume B1 has a maximal element b1. This means that there does not exist an x є B1(b1Rx Λ b1 ≠ x). By part a), we know that b1 is also the maximal element of B2. Therefore, b1 є (B1 and B2). Therefore, B1 and B2 are not disjoint.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

As a fellow scientist, I understand your frustration with your professor's behavior. It can be difficult to learn and ask questions in an environment where you feel belittled or inadequate. However, let's focus on the problem at hand.

In part a), you proved that for all x in A, x is an upper bound of B1 if and only if x is an upper bound of B2. This statement is true for all elements in A, not just maximal elements. Therefore, you cannot directly apply this statement to part b) which specifically deals with maximal elements.

In order to solve part b), you need to use the definition of a maximal element. A maximal element is an element that is greater than or equal to all other elements in the set. So, if you have a maximal element b1 in B1, you need to show that it is also a maximal element in B2. This can be done by assuming that there exists an element b2 in B2 that is greater than b1. This would contradict the fact that b1 is a maximal element in B1. Therefore, b1 must also be a maximal element in B2.

I hope this helps. Remember, it's always okay to ask for clarification or assistance, even if your professor makes you feel otherwise. Keep persevering!

1. What is the purpose of Section 4.4 in "Help-How to Prove It"?

Section 4.4 in "Help-How to Prove It" focuses on proving statements involving sets, functions, and relations. It provides techniques and strategies for constructing proofs in these areas.

2. What does the "18b" in the title of Section 4.4 refer to?

The "18b" in the title of Section 4.4 refers to Exercise 18b, which is a specific problem that serves as an example for applying the concepts and techniques discussed in the section.

3. How do I prove a statement involving sets?

To prove a statement involving sets, you can use techniques such as subset arguments, set equality, and Venn diagrams. It is important to clearly define the sets involved and justify each step of your proof using logical reasoning.

4. Can I use induction to prove statements in Section 4.4?

Yes, you can use induction to prove statements involving sets, functions, and relations in Section 4.4. However, it may be more efficient to use other techniques such as direct proofs or proof by contradiction.

5. How can I improve my proof-writing skills for Section 4.4 problems?

To improve your proof-writing skills for Section 4.4 problems, it is important to practice regularly and to carefully read and understand the concepts and examples in the section. You can also seek feedback from peers or a teacher to identify areas for improvement.