Help! I'm Not Sure What I Did Wrong in Evaluating MOI of a Sphere

• Thread starter DeadInside
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sphere
In summary, the problem might be that I am assuming the arc length of a small circular segment to be equal to the thickness of the disc. This is not the case, and must be taken into account when calculating the volume of a sphere with MoI.
DeadInside
Homework Statement
Axis is through center of mass of the solid sphere.
Relevant Equations
I first integrated dm to find MOI of a ring.
Then I used MOI of a ring to find MOI of a disc.
Then I used MOI of a disc to find MOI of solid sphere
Untitled.png

Untitled2.png

Untitled3.png

Untitled4.png

I know I must have done something wrong somewhere here, but I cannot figure out exactly which one

Answer is supposed to be (2/5)MR2

Whatever disaster I have in the last image does not evaluate closely to that at all.

I'm not looking for another way to find the MOI of solid sphere, I would just like to know what I am doing wrong here. Any input is welcome. Please and thank you.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
DeadInside said:
I'm not looking for another way to find the MOI of solid sphere, I would just like to know what I am doing wrong here. Any input is welcome. Please and thank you.
1628086290059.png

##dh## should be the thickness of the disc. Draw a figure showing the disc inside the sphere for some angle ##\theta##.

Likes DeadInside and Delta2
TSny said:
View attachment 287075
##dh## should be the thickness of the disc. Draw a figure showing the disc inside the sphere for some angle ##\theta##.
Hi, thanks for the suggestion. I tried drawing the diagram, but I still don't understand. dh is the thickness already?? I'm really confused.

DeadInside said:
Hi, thanks for the suggestion. I tried drawing the diagram, but I still don't understand. dh is the thickness already?? I'm really confused.
Your diagram (3rd image in post #1) shows dh as a distance around the circumference of the sphere. Your expression ##dh=Rd\theta## conforms to that. But that is not the thickness of the disc, which is what you need dh to be according to your integral.

Likes DeadInside and Delta2
There is a much simpler way to calculate this, instead of splitting to ##I_{ring}## and ##I_{disc}## as intermediate steps, to calculate the raw volume integral of MoI in spherical coordinates for the volume of a sphere.
The final integral has the form $$\int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^{\pi}\int_0^R \rho r^4\sin^3\theta dr d\theta d\phi$$. I know you are interested mainly in spotting the flaws in your specific attempt so I won't interfere any further.

Likes DeadInside
TSny said:
View attachment 287075
At first, I couldn't understand, but what you said clicked later on.
haruspex said:
Your diagram (3rd image in post #1) shows dh as a distance around the circumference of the sphere. Your expression ##dh=Rd\theta## conforms to that. But that is not the thickness of the disc, which is what you need dh to be according to your integral.
I followed this and revisited the relationship between ##dh## and ##d\theta##. But I still was unsure what I had to change.
Delta2 said:
There is a much simpler way to calculate this, instead of splitting to ##I_{ring}## and ##I_{disc}## as intermediate steps, to calculate the raw volume integral of MoI in spherical coordinates for the volume of a sphere.
The final integral has the form $$\int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^{\pi}\int_0^R \rho r^4\sin^3\theta dr d\theta d\phi$$. I know you are interested mainly in spotting the flaws in your specific attempt so I won't interfere any further.
Although this isn't exactly what I looked for, but it hinted me that I may have ignored that:

1) as TSny said, ##dh## should ONLY be the thickness of the disk and ring. It shouldn't be readily assumed as arc length of a small circular segment. Numerically they might be close, but by principle they are not the same.

2) as haruspex further said, because I assumed ##dh=Rd\theta##, it restricts ##dh## to a small arc length, which obviously isn't true when it was first established as thickness of disk and ring.

This all clicked when I saw the solution you offered. I thought there must be a trigonometric relationship between arc length and thickness ##dh##.

I don't have access to PC for a while so I will add the solution a few days later.

Last edited:
TSny said:
View attachment 287075

haruspex said:

Delta2 said:
This is the temporary brief explanation I drew on my phone:
Screenshot_20210805-203428.png

Screenshot_20210805-204639.png

Screenshot_20210805-205119.png

The angle here can be found simply with some subtraction and addition of some polygon angles.
Screenshot_20210805-205337.png

This is the actual relation between ##dh## and ##Rd\theta##.

Thank you all brilliant and kind minds so so much for your inputs. I have finally ended my 3 days of agony.

Likes TSny and Delta2
DeadInside said:
This is the actual relation between dh and Rdθ.
Well done.
You may also be unaware of an interesting bit of geometry related to the surface area.
If you project the disc out to meet the coaxial cylinder enclosing the sphere, the surface area of the sphere within the slice equals the surface area of the cylinder within the slice; both are ##2\pi R\sin(\theta)d\theta##. Thus the surface area of the whole sphere is that of the cylinder: ##(2\pi R)(2R)=4\pi R^2##. This was first realized by Archimedes, making him effectively the discoverer of calculus.

Likes DeadInside

Related to Help! I'm Not Sure What I Did Wrong in Evaluating MOI of a Sphere

1. What is MOI and why is it important in evaluating a sphere?

MOI stands for moment of inertia, which is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. In the context of a sphere, MOI is important because it helps us understand how the sphere will behave when subjected to external forces or when rotating on its own axis.

2. How is MOI calculated for a sphere?

The formula for calculating MOI of a sphere is 2/5 * mass * radius^2. This formula takes into account the mass and size (radius) of the sphere, and is based on the assumption that the mass is evenly distributed throughout the sphere.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of MOI calculations for a sphere?

One factor that can affect the accuracy of MOI calculations for a sphere is the assumption of even mass distribution. In reality, there may be variations in mass density within the sphere that can affect the MOI. Additionally, the shape of the sphere may not be perfectly spherical, which can also impact the accuracy of the calculation.

4. How can I check if my MOI calculation for a sphere is correct?

One way to check the accuracy of your MOI calculation is by comparing it to the theoretical value. For a solid sphere, the theoretical MOI is 2/5 * mass * radius^2. If your calculated value is significantly different, it may indicate an error in your calculation.

5. Are there any real-world applications of MOI for spheres?

Yes, MOI is an important concept in physics and engineering, and is used in various real-world applications. For example, it is used in the design of rotating machinery, such as turbines and flywheels, to ensure they can withstand the forces and stresses involved in their operation. It is also used in sports, such as in the design of golf clubs and tennis rackets, to optimize their performance.