Help in showing that this inner product is zero

In summary, the conversation discusses the unormalised plane wave solution and the attempt to show that the inner product of two wave solutions is equal to zero. The question asks for hints on how to obtain the answer, but also mentions that the question is not well-posed without specifying the Hilbert space. The conversation concludes by noting that the inner product seems to be proportional to an integral involving the sum of two wave vectors.
user1139
Homework Statement
I want to show that the inner product between the plane wave solution and its conjugate is zero.
Relevant Equations
The inner product is defined as ##(u_{\vec{k}},u_{\vec{k}'})=-i\int u_{\vec{k}}\partial_{t}u^{*}_{\vec{k}'}-u^{*}_{\vec{k}'}\partial_{t} u_{\vec{k}}\,\mathrm{d}^3 x##
The unormalised plane wave solution is given as ##u_{\vec{k}}=e^{i\vec{k}\cdot\vec{x}-i\omega t}##. I want to show that ##(u_{\vec{k}},u^{*}_{\vec{k}'})=0##. However, I don't seem to be able to get the answer through direct calculation. Any hints on how to obtain the answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
Show your work please.

Your question is also not well posed. Which Hilbert space are we supposed to work in? Is it ##\mathrm{L}^2(\mathbb{R}^3)## or is it ##\mathrm{L}^2(D)## with some finite region ##D##?

It seems that the inner product is propotional to $$\int \exp [i(\vec{k}+\vec{k}')\cdot\vec{x}]\mathrm{d}^3 x.$$

Shouldn't it be a Dirac-delta function?

Likes vanhees71

1. How do you show that an inner product is zero?

To show that an inner product is zero, you need to use the properties of inner products. Specifically, you can use the property that if the inner product of two vectors is zero, then the vectors are orthogonal. This means that the angle between the two vectors is 90 degrees. Therefore, to show that an inner product is zero, you need to demonstrate that the angle between the two vectors is 90 degrees.

2. What is an inner product?

An inner product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and produces a scalar value. It is often denoted as <u, v> and is sometimes referred to as the dot product or scalar product. The result of an inner product is a measure of how much two vectors are aligned with each other.

3. Why is it important to show that an inner product is zero?

Showing that an inner product is zero can be important in various applications, such as in linear algebra and geometry. It can help determine if two vectors are orthogonal or perpendicular to each other, which can be useful in solving equations and finding solutions to problems.

4. What are some common methods for showing that an inner product is zero?

One common method is to use the definition of an inner product and plug in the values of the vectors to see if they result in a zero scalar. Another method is to use the properties of inner products, such as the fact that the inner product of two orthogonal vectors is zero. You can also use geometric reasoning and visualize the vectors to see if they are perpendicular to each other.

5. Can an inner product ever be negative or non-zero?

Yes, an inner product can be negative or non-zero. The result of an inner product depends on the angle between the two vectors. If the angle is less than 90 degrees, the inner product will be positive. If the angle is greater than 90 degrees, the inner product will be negative. If the angle is exactly 90 degrees, the inner product will be zero. Therefore, an inner product can be negative or non-zero if the vectors are not orthogonal to each other.