Help me learn to sketch phase portraits

In summary, the person has been struggling with a system of equations and is trying to sketch it. They know the equilibrium is (0,0) and that it is a sink. They have found the nullclines, but are unsure of which direction they are going. They are looking for help and have tried a method suggested by someone else. They are also considering using the method of dy/dx=f(x,y)/g(x,y) to gain more intuition on the direction of the system.
Ribbed
Hey guys,

Been struggling with this all day. I've got the following situation:

x1*=-x1+x2

x2*=-2x1-x2

Where the 1&2 after the x are subscripts.

Now i can find the equilibrium no trouble: (0,0). I also know, by looking at the eigenvalues that it is a sink.

But how on Earth do you sketch it? I've found nullclines:

-x1+x2 = 0

-2x1-x2 = 0

But i cannot, for the life of me, tell which way these lines are going.

Help really appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You want to bring it into a cannonical form, this system will be a spiral sink with eigenvalues - 1 +/- sqrt( 2 i ) so it will be a spiral sink. The cannonical form for a case like this, is a matrix like:
a -b
b a

The lines will go inward since it is a sink, and if a > 0 then the spiral goes counterclockwise

Thanks for your reply. What i posted above is just a preliminary example that i cannot do, I've asked my professor too.

I've never seen ( i don't think) the method you have mentioned?

Are there any other ways? I had in mind something like:

dy/dx=f(x,y)/g(x,y)

(Of course, where my x and y are x1 and x2, and i could look at any point x1,x2 and see its direction).

I really need quite a bit of intuition in this as i can not see what is going on.

Related to Help me learn to sketch phase portraits

1. What is a phase portrait?

A phase portrait is a graphical representation of the behavior of a dynamical system over time. It is a plot of the system's state variables against time, and it can help to understand the system's behavior and predict future states.

2. Why is it important to learn how to sketch phase portraits?

Sketching phase portraits can help in analyzing and understanding complex systems, such as those found in physics, engineering, and biology. It can also aid in predicting the behavior of a system and making informed decisions based on that knowledge.

3. What are the steps involved in sketching a phase portrait?

The first step is to identify the system's state variables and their equations of motion. Then, plot the state variables against each other on a two-dimensional plane. Next, determine the critical points of the system and their stability. Finally, sketch the trajectories of the system using arrows to indicate the direction of movement.

4. Are there any resources available to help me learn to sketch phase portraits?

Yes, there are many online resources, such as tutorials, videos, and interactive tools, that can help in learning how to sketch phase portraits. Additionally, textbooks and courses on dynamical systems and differential equations may also provide helpful guidance.

5. Can sketching phase portraits be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, phase portraits can be used to analyze and predict the behavior of real-world systems, such as population dynamics, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits. It is a valuable tool for scientists and engineers in understanding and solving complex problems in various fields.