Why Does Taylor's Theorem Use +O(ε) Instead of -O(ε)?

gionole
Homework Statement
Help me with taylor's theorem
Relevant Equations
Help me with taylor's theorem
I am trying to grasp how the last equation is derived. I understand everything, but the only thing problematic is why in the end, it's ##+O(\epsilon)## and not ##-O(\epsilon)##. It will be easier to directly attach the image, so please, see image attached.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-27 at 1.32.29 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-27 at 1.32.29 PM.png
    8.6 KB · Views: 20
Physics news on Phys.org
I am not accustomed the way of the text. What is the text you use ?

O-notation tells you about the magnitude of the error in some limit, in this case [itex]\epsilon \to 0[/itex]; the sign of the error can depend on [itex]\epsilon[/itex], so it is conventional to use a plus sign.

Likes gionole
The expression, ##f=g+O(\epsilon)## means that there exists such positive number ##M## that ##|f-g| \leq M|\epsilon|##.
OTOH, ##f=g-O(\epsilon)## means ##g=f+O(\epsilon)##, which means that there exists such positive number ##M## that ##|g-f| \leq M|\epsilon|##. This is the same as above. So, one can always use ##+O(\epsilon)##.

• Love
Likes WWGD and gionole

1. What is Taylor's theorem?

Taylor's theorem is a mathematical result in calculus that gives an approximation of a function near a specific point in terms of its derivatives at that point.

2. How is Taylor's theorem used?

Taylor's theorem is commonly used in mathematics to approximate functions and simplify calculations in various areas such as physics, engineering, and economics.

3. What is the formula for Taylor's theorem?

The general formula for Taylor's theorem is f(x) = f(a) + f'(a)(x-a) + f''(a)(x-a)^2/2! + f'''(a)(x-a)^3/3! + ..., where f^(n)(a) denotes the nth derivative of f at the point a.

4. What is the difference between Taylor series and Taylor polynomial?

A Taylor series is an infinite sum of terms from Taylor's theorem, while a Taylor polynomial is a finite sum of terms that approximates a function near a specific point.

5. Can Taylor's theorem be used for any function?

Taylor's theorem can be used for any function that is differentiable at the point of interest, as long as the derivatives exist and are continuous in the neighborhood of that point.