Help on a free body diagram and equation

In summary: I have the second edition! That is a good book! I don't see where the bearing force fits into the D' Alembert's Law, but maybe it does. I am not familiar with that law. Perhaps some people use that law and other people don't. I have learned to do my dynamics in a specific way and I am not sure if I can learn to use it. I think I understand how you are using it. I just don't know if the rest of the world uses it in the same way. I would have to look into it more before I can comment further but I am open minded about it. Thanks!In summary, the conversation discusses a two-block system
kiwimia
1. Relevant information
This is a two-block-system on top of each other to the right side of a wall, both attached with springs that are also attached to the wall. A force is applied on the bottom block to the right direction, frictions occurred on both bottoms of the two blocks. Here is the diagram illustration:

http://i62.tinypic.com/291ytxt.jpg

(BTW, don't worry about Weight = Mg, this can be ignored)

2. Question
Draw a free body diagram and determine the equations of motion for this system

The Attempt at a Solution

This is the free body diagram I drew:

http://i60.tinypic.com/2zdqhpt.jpg

According to my free body diagram, I have the equation of motion for this system.

M2X2’’ + K2X2 + B2(X1’ – X2’) = 0

M1X1’’ + K1X1 + B1X1’ = f + B2(X1’ – X2’)Does this seem right? Please let me know. Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
kiwimia said:
1. Relevant information
This is a two-block-system on top of each other to the right side of a wall, both attached with springs that are also attached to the wall. A force is applied on the bottom block to the right direction, frictions occurred on both bottoms of the two blocks. Here is the diagram illustration:

http://i62.tinypic.com/291ytxt.jpg

(BTW, don't worry about Weight = Mg, this can be ignored)

2. Question
Draw a free body diagram and determine the equations of motion for this system

The Attempt at a Solution

This is the free body diagram I drew:

http://i60.tinypic.com/2zdqhpt.jpg

According to my free body diagram, I have the equation of motion for this system.

M2X2’’ + K2X2 + B2(X1’ – X2’) = 0

M1X1’’ + K1X1 + B1X1’ = f + B2(X1’ – X2’)Does this seem right? Please let me know. Thanks!
No weight means no normal force which means no friction, which is a function of the normal force, not some sort of linear drag equation as you seem to show. Also, you are apparently using pseudo forces in your diagrams, which you should label as 'free body diagrams with pseudo forces shown' if you must, but I don't see why. Are you assuming motion?

The vertical forces on the mass (the weight Mg and the upward forces exerted by the frictionless bearings) have been omitted because these force are perpendicular to the direction of motion. Only the horizontal forces are considered.

The original question description is stated as the following:
The system is at rest with no energy stored for t < 0. At t = 0, force f is applied to mass M1. Draw a free body diagram and determine the equations of motion for this system.

I got my reference from the Close book titled Modeling Analysis of Dynamic Systems. Here is a similar example,

2hd15ao.jpg

I am trying to use his way to solve my problem, but I am not sure if my free body diagram was drawn correctly.

kiwimia said:
The vertical forces on the mass (the weight Mg and the upward forces exerted by the frictionless bearings) have been omitted because these force are perpendicular to the direction of motion. Only the horizontal forces are considered.

The original question description is stated as the following:
The system is at rest with no energy stored for t < 0. At t = 0, force f is applied to mass M1. Draw a free body diagram and determine the equations of motion for this system.

I got my reference from the Close book titled Modeling Analysis of Dynamic Systems. Here is a similar example,

I am trying to use his way to solve my problem, but I am not sure if my free body diagram was drawn correctly.
In your original post, you noted that there was friction between all surfaces, which typically is a function of the normal force between the surfaces. Your diagrams and example indicate some sort of a resistance force from the bearings which is a function of the relative speeds between surfaces (B dx/dt), which I am not familiar with.

Free body diagrams should show all real forces, including the weight and normal forces, whether or not you need to use them. And if you must show the pseudo forces ( M dx^2/dt^2) in your diagrams, label the diagrams appropriately.

You seem to have the wrong directions shown for your B2(x1dot-x2dot) forces.

I am not sure if you understand all the descriptions of the forces and pseudo forces shown. I don't understand the bearing forces.

PhanthomJay said:
In your original post, you noted that there was friction between all surfaces, which typically is a function of the normal force between the surfaces. Your diagrams and example indicate some sort of a resistance force from the bearings which is a function of the relative speeds between surfaces (B dx/dt), which I am not familiar with.

Free body diagrams should show all real forces, including the weight and normal forces, whether or not you need to use them. And if you must show the pseudo forces ( M dx^2/dt^2) in your diagrams, label the diagrams appropriately.

You seem to have the wrong directions shown for your B2(x1dot-x2dot) forces.

I am not sure if you understand all the descriptions of the forces and pseudo forces shown. I don't understand the bearing forces.

I can't agree with you more on all real forces should be shown on free body diagrams. I think the book is showing a different way and it's because the D' Alembert's Law is applied, which is the law of reaction forces, and the law for displacement variables. That was why I added the pseudo force. However, this confuses me even more because I used to understand the way that you mentioned.

Also, thank you very much for pointing out B2(x1dot-x2dot) forces are in opposite directions. I totally did not realized that.

10xheyp.jpg

From chapter 2 of the book: https://www.scribd.com/doc/241929209/Modeling-and-Analysis-of-Dynamic-Systems-Third-Edition

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet!

1. What is a free body diagram?

A free body diagram is a visual representation of all the forces acting on an object. It is used to analyze the motion of an object and to solve problems involving forces.

2. How do I draw a free body diagram?

To draw a free body diagram, you must first identify all the forces acting on the object. This includes contact forces, such as tension or friction, and non-contact forces, such as gravity. Then, draw a dot or a box to represent the object and label each force with an arrow pointing in the direction of the force. Make sure to include the magnitude and direction of each force.

3. What is the equation for a free body diagram?

The equation for a free body diagram is F=ma, where F is the net force acting on the object, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration of the object. This equation is derived from Newton's Second Law of Motion.

4. How do I use a free body diagram to solve a problem?

To solve a problem using a free body diagram, you must first identify all the known and unknown forces acting on the object. Then, use the equation F=ma to set up an equation and solve for the unknown variable. Make sure to pay attention to the direction of the forces and use appropriate units.

5. Can a free body diagram be used for objects in motion?

Yes, a free body diagram can be used for objects in motion as it helps to visualize and analyze the forces acting on the object. It is particularly useful in solving problems involving acceleration, velocity, and displacement.