Help please with biocalculus question involving differentiation

In summary, the conversation discusses a model for the concentration of antibiotics in a sinus cavity after being injected into a patient. The solution for parts a and b of the problem are provided, but the individual is unsure of how to get to the final answers. They also ask for help in determining what the graph of the model would look like. The conversation ends with the expert asking for more information about the individual's understanding of calculus.
sarahjonester78
Hi, I was just wondering how one would arrive at the answers to these questions. I have the solution for parts a and b, but not for part c.

Suppose that antibiotics are injected into a patient to treat a sinus infection. The antibiotics circulate in the blood, slowly diffusing into the sinus cavity while simultaneously being filtered out of the blood by the liver. A model for the concentration of the antibiotic in the sinus cavity as a function of time since the injection:

c(t) = [e^(−αt) − e^(−βt)]/ β − α
Where β > α > 0.

(a) At what time does c have its maximum value?
SOLUTION: t = [ln(α) − ln(β)] / α - β

I know that to be a maximum value the t would need to be solved with the use of: c1(t)>0 , as well as the fact that natural log rules can be applied to this equation to make differentiation easier. But I have no idea how to get there and achieve the final answer.

(b) At what time does the inflection point occur?
SOLUTION: t = 2[ln(α) − ln(β)] / α - β

I do know that for a point of inflection c2(t)=0, as well as the fact that the same application of natural log rules would apply for this problem. But I don't know how to apply this for this problem.

(c) what would the graph of c look like?
*attached picture shows options..
I did come to the conclusion that it has to be one of the top two graphs, but I don't know which one/why.

Any help would be much appreciated! :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-11-04 at 11.12.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-11-04 at 11.12.24 PM.png
    11.9 KB · Views: 661
Physics news on Phys.org
sarahjonester78 said:
I know that to be a maximum value the t would need to be solved with the use of: c1(t)>0 ,
sarahjonester78 said:
I do know that for a point of inflection c2(t)=0, as well
Are you saying you don't know how to take the derivative? Have you taken calculus yet?

You need to show some attempt at the solution so we can see where you are stuck.

I know how to get the derivatives (see attached). But I don't know/understand what to do next. Also I have taken calculus.

Attachments

• IMG_0284 4.JPG
    IMG_0284 4.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 648
Your derivatives are not correct. The ##e^{-\alpha t}## term is missing.

What is biocalculus?

Biocalculus is a branch of mathematics that applies concepts from calculus, such as differentiation and integration, to biological and life science problems. It involves the use of mathematical models to study and analyze biological phenomena.

What is differentiation?

Differentiation is a mathematical operation that involves finding the rate of change of a function. In biocalculus, it is commonly used to analyze the rate of change of biological processes, such as growth and decay.

How is differentiation used in biocalculus?

Differentiation is used in biocalculus to model and analyze biological processes such as population growth, enzyme kinetics, and gene expression. It helps to determine the rate of change and how different factors affect the process.

Can you give an example of a biocalculus problem involving differentiation?

One example is a study of bacterial growth, where the rate of change of the population size is modeled using a differential equation. By differentiating the equation, we can determine the factors that affect the growth rate, such as nutrient availability and temperature.

What are some common techniques used for differentiation in biocalculus?

Some common techniques used for differentiation in biocalculus include the power rule, product rule, and chain rule. These rules can be applied to functions involving exponentials, logarithms, and trigonometric functions, which are commonly used in biological models.