Help taking a partial derivative

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of computing a specific partial derivative without a specific function of the form ##u(t,x)##. It is concluded that there is no universal formula for this partial derivative, as it depends on the function ##u(t,x)##. The concept of the chain rule is also discussed, and it is explained that the derivative of a transformed function scales by a multiple of the derivative of the original function. However, there is no similar result for functions of the form ##u(t,x-t)##. The correct form of the chain rule is also explained in detail.
docnet
Gold Member
Homework Statement
I need to compute this partial derivative
Relevant Equations
##\partial_tu\big[(t,x-t\kappa V)\big]##
Hi all, I was wondering is if the following partial derivative can be computed without a specific ##u(t,x)##

$$\partial_tu\big[(t,x-t\kappa V)\big]$$

I was thinking it can't be done, because we could have

$$u_a(t,x)=tx \Rightarrow \partial_tu\big[(t,x-t\kappa V)\big]=\partial_t\big[tx-t^2\kappa V\big]=x-2t\kappa V$$
$$u_b(t,x)=t+x \Rightarrow \partial_tu\big[(t,x-t\kappa V)\big]=\partial_t\big[t+x-t\kappa V\big]=1-\kappa V$$

so there is no universal formula for ##\partial_tu\big[(t,x-t\kappa V)\big]##, which depends on the function ##u(t,x)##.

Physics news on Phys.org
You mean that the partial derivative of a function depends on the function? Is that a surprise?

PeroK said:
You mean that the partial derivative of a function depends on the function? Is that a surprise?
Thank you. If we have a transformation of ##u(t,x)## defined by ##u_a(t,x)\Rightarrow u(2t,x)## then we can make a statement like
$$\partial_t[u_a(t,x)]=\partial_tu(2t,x)\cdot \partial_t(2t)$$$$=2\cdot \partial_tu(2t,x)=2\partial_tu_a(t,x)$$
The partial derivative of the transformed function scales by a multiple of 2.

I needed some thinking out loud to convince myself that there isn't a similar result for functions like ##u(t,x-t)##

okay, i think i see what is confusing me. i have been writing it wrong.

could you tell me if the following statement is correct, and the statement in post is #3 wrong?

$$\partial_tu_a(t,x)=\partial_tu(2t,x)=\partial_t u(t,x) \cdot \partial_t(2t)$$
$$=2 \partial_tu(t,x)$$

Last edited:
docnet said:
okay, i think i see what is confusing me. i have been writing it wrong.

could you tell me if the following statement correct, and the statement in post #3 wrong?

$$\partial_tu_a(t,x)=\partial_tu(2t,x)=\partial_t u(t,x) \cdot \partial_t(2t)$$
$$=2 \partial_tu(t,x)$$
That's not right. The general form of the chain rule is: $$h(x) = f(g(x)) \ \Rightarrow \ h'(x) = f'(g(x))g'(x)$$ Note that the derivative of ##f## is evaluated at ##g(x)##. This generalises to the multi-variable case: $$\partial_t u(f(t), x) = \partial_t u(f(t), x) f'(t)$$ Now, if you have a function of the form ##u_a(t, x) = u(f(t), g(t, x))##, then you need to be careful about your notation and what things means. In this case, we have:
$$\partial_t u_a(t, x) = \partial_t u(f(t), g(t, x))f'(t) + \partial_x u(f(t), g(t, x))\partial_tg(t, x)$$
For more detail, see my Insight on the multi-variable chain rule:

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/demystifying-chain-rule-calculus/

• Informative
Likes docnet
PeroK said:
That's not right. The general form of the chain rule is: $$h(x) = f(g(x)) \ \Rightarrow \ h'(x) = f'(g(x))g'(x)$$ Note that the derivative of ##f## is evaluated at ##g(x)##. This generalises to the multi-variable case: $$\partial_t u(f(t), x) = \partial_t u(f(t), x) f'(t)$$ Now, if you have a function of the form ##u_a(t, x) = u(f(t), g(t, x))##, then you need to be careful about your notation and what things means. In this case, we have:
$$\partial_t u_a(t, x) = \partial_t u(f(t), g(t, x))f'(t) + \partial_x u(f(t), g(t, x))\partial_tg(t, x)$$
For more detail, see my Insight on the multi-variable chain rule:

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/demystifying-chain-rule-calculus/
awesome write up! thank you.

1. What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept used to measure the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant. It is denoted by ∂ (pronounced "partial") and is often used in multivariable calculus.

2. When do I need to take a partial derivative?

You may need to take a partial derivative when you have a function with multiple variables and you want to see how the function changes when only one variable is varied. This can be useful in many fields, such as physics, economics, and engineering.

3. How do I take a partial derivative?

To take a partial derivative, you need to differentiate the function with respect to the variable you are interested in, treating all other variables as constants. This means you only need to apply the usual rules of differentiation, such as the power rule and product rule, to the variable of interest while keeping the other variables constant.

4. What is the difference between a partial derivative and a total derivative?

A partial derivative measures the rate of change of a function with respect to one variable, while a total derivative measures the overall rate of change of a function with respect to all its variables. In other words, a partial derivative only considers the effect of one variable on the function, while a total derivative takes into account the effects of all variables.

5. Why is taking a partial derivative important?

Taking a partial derivative allows us to understand how a function changes when only one variable is varied, which can be useful in many real-world applications. It also helps us to solve optimization problems and understand the relationship between different variables in a function.