Help Wiring a 30 HP Toshiba AC Motor - Ian Needs Assistance

In summary, the conversation revolves around the speaker seeking help with a 30 HP motor that they need to get working. The motor is a 12 wire Toshiba with dual voltage capabilities. The nameplate instructions state how to wire for low voltage, but the wires have been cut and some numbers are missing. The speaker has a multimeter and is wondering if they can use it to identify the remaining wire numbers. They are informed that the 12 leads are for 6 identical coils and can be paired up in a specific way to determine the other side and corresponding number. The speaker is advised to disconnect all wires and check for continuity to the case, then pair up the remaining wires accordingly. If the motor runs smoothly, the speaker should check for
AMGR
I hope someone can help me.
I have an old 30 HP motor that I need to get working...if possible.
It is a 12 wire Toshiba, dual voltage. 230V 460V.
To wire for the low voltage the nameplate says:
connect wires 4,8,10 and 2 to supply 1.
Wires 9,5,11 and 3 to supply 2 and
Wires 6,7,12 and 1 to supply 3.

Someone has cut the wires and removed some of the numbers. The only identifyible numbers are 4,9,6,8,5 and 7.
Wires 1,2,3,10,11 and 12 have no numbers.

I have an electronic multimeter with resistance measurements.
Is there any way I can check resistances between what I know and what I need to know to identify the remaining wire numbers?

FYI: for high voltage hook-up the wires are paired:
6 and 9.
4 and 7.
8 and 5.
10,2 and L1.
11,3 and L2 and
12,1 and L3.

I appreciate any help.
Ian.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Your 12 leads are for 6 identical coils paired up as
1 , 4
2 , 5
3 , 6
7 ,10
8 , 11
9 , 12
as long as you have 1 side of each coil you can do a simple continuity check to determine the other side and corresponding number. It seems you are in luck.
You have 4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 8 , 9
if you disconnect all wires from each other, you should check for continuity to the case, If you have none, you can proceed to pair 4 to 1 , 5 to 2, 6 to 3, 7 to 10, 8 to 11, and 9 to 12.

If it were me,once you have them all numbered I would hook it up to a starter and properly size the OLs. If it appears to run fine then I would check for balanced current in each leg.
If they are reasonably balanced you should be ok.

Thanks for reply, will go and check what you say right now.
I am normally not that lucky, maybe I should buy a lottery ticket tonight!

1. How do I determine the correct wiring for my 30 HP Toshiba AC Motor?

The wiring for a 30 HP Toshiba AC Motor can vary depending on the specific model and application. It is important to consult the motor's manual or contact Toshiba directly for the correct wiring diagram. It is also recommended to seek assistance from a qualified electrician to ensure safe and proper wiring.

2. Do I need any special tools or equipment for wiring a 30 HP Toshiba AC Motor?

In addition to the wiring diagram and motor manual, you may need a multimeter, wire strippers, and electrical tape to properly wire a 30 HP Toshiba AC Motor. It is also important to have basic knowledge of electrical wiring and safety precautions.

3. Can I use any type of wire for wiring a 30 HP Toshiba AC Motor?

No, it is important to use the correct type and gauge of wire for the motor's voltage and current requirements. Using the wrong wire can result in overheating, damage to the motor, and potential safety hazards. Again, consult the motor manual or contact Toshiba for the recommended wire specifications.

4. Is it possible to wire a 30 HP Toshiba AC Motor by myself?

While it is possible to wire a 30 HP Toshiba AC Motor by yourself, it is recommended to seek assistance from a qualified electrician. They have the knowledge and experience to properly wire the motor and ensure safety. If you do choose to wire it yourself, make sure to follow the wiring diagram carefully and take all necessary safety precautions.

5. What should I do if I encounter any issues while wiring my 30 HP Toshiba AC Motor?

If you encounter any issues while wiring your 30 HP Toshiba AC Motor, stop immediately and seek assistance from a qualified electrician. Do not attempt to troubleshoot or fix the issue yourself as it can be dangerous. It is always better to be safe than sorry when it comes to electrical wiring.