Help with acceleration problem

• Thread starter ExaltedProphecy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acceleration
In summary, a police car with a constant acceleration of 3.6m/s^2 tries to catch up to a speeder passing at 100km/hr. Using the kinematics equations, the time it takes for the police car to catch up to the speeder can be solved by creating a quadratic equation and using the quadratic formula. The positive value obtained from the formula represents the time it takes for the police car to catch up.
ExaltedProphecy

Homework Statement

A police car stopped at a set of lights has had a speeder pass it at 100km/hr. if the police car can accelerate at 3.6m/s^2, how long does it take to catch up to the speeder

Homework Equations

I'm not sure what I can do with the given info

The Attempt at a Solution

Same as above

Physics news on Phys.org
ExaltedProphecy said:
I'm not sure what I can do with the given info
You must have been given some equations to look at? Are you using a textbook? No notes from class? This should be a plug and chug type problem.

there is nothing, it was a sheet online that my teacher gave to me.
We just started physics, and are currently on the unit of Motion in a straight line in kinematics. we were told to use any formulas we know (5 main kinematics) but I am not sure where to find the remaining variable

ExaltedProphecy said:
Is it possible to link to that sheet here?

Attachments

• kinematic worksheet (1).pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 485
Likes Greg Bernhardt
does that help?

ExaltedProphecy said:
We just started physics, and are currently on the unit of Motion in a straight line in kinematics. we were told to use any formulas we know (5 main kinematics) but I am not sure where to find the remaining variable
What are the kinematics equations that you know?

there called the 5 main kinematics equations. its faster to search it up then putting them in this

ExaltedProphecy said:
there called the 5 main kinematics equations. its faster to search it up then putting them in this
You got to work with us. Which of the equations is your best guess to use?

its ok, i figured it out, thanks

ExaltedProphecy said:
its ok, i figured it out, thanks
Some other readers may be interested how you figured it out?

Greg Bernhardt said:
Some other readers may be interested how you figured it out?
I put the information from the cop into 2 separate formulas. Then I substituted 1 formula into the other, creating a quadratic. I then used the quadratic formula, keeping the positive amount as my final answer

1. What is acceleration and how is it measured?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2) or in terms of the force applied to an object. Acceleration can be measured using tools such as accelerometers or by analyzing an object's position over time.

2. What causes acceleration?

Acceleration is caused by a force acting on an object. This force can be due to gravity, friction, or other external forces. In the absence of any external forces, an object will maintain a constant velocity and have no acceleration.

3. How do I calculate acceleration?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in an object's velocity by the change in time. This can be represented by the equation a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

4. What is the difference between acceleration and velocity?

While acceleration and velocity are related, they are not the same thing. Velocity is the rate of change of an object's position, while acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity. In simpler terms, velocity tells us how fast an object is moving and in what direction, while acceleration tells us how quickly an object's velocity is changing.

5. How does acceleration affect motion?

Acceleration can affect motion in a variety of ways. If an object is accelerating, it will change its velocity, either by speeding up, slowing down, or changing direction. The magnitude and direction of acceleration will determine how an object's motion is affected. For example, if an object is accelerating in the same direction as its velocity, it will speed up. On the other hand, if it is accelerating in the opposite direction, it will slow down.