Help with beam deflection problem

In summary, the problem is that the book the professor gave the student is not easy to read, and the student is trying to do a beam deflection problem without being able to read the formulas or understand the diagrams. The student is requesting help from the instructor.
Bri72611
I need help with this beam deflection problem for 1 the book my professor gave me almost everything is hand written including the beam stuff... SO I can't read it at all and its really frustrating trynna do this without being able to read the formulas or anything please helpp! I attached the problem please link whatever formula you used ty!

Attachments

• beam.png
    beam.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 478
Physics news on Phys.org
Bri72611 said:
I need help with this beam deflection problem for 1 the book my professor gave me almost everything is hand written including the beam stuff... SO I can't read it at all and its really frustrating trynna do this without being able to read the formulas or anything please helpp! I attached the problem please link whatever formula you used ty!

What about statics? Was everything in your statics class handwritten by the professor there?

In all beam problems, you first determine all the forces and moments acting on the beam, and you draw a free body diagram. Try this first, and then we'll see what else you need to know.

well I can't even read the top part to determine that where the 240 and 80 are to make the free body diagram. I need that and which formulas from the chart that I can't read

Show us your attempt and we'll go from there.

The first thing you should do is replace the two loads on the upper beam with a single load and moment on the lower beam.

As always, do free body diagrams.

well how do I do the load at the exact point between the 12 and 8? and what formula do I use after that I have the diagram except that value and the chart in my book for which formula I am supposed to use after that is completely unreadable.

and that was a screen shot from the book I have no way to take a picture off my paper

You have a load of 240 lbs. located 12" from the base of the T. You have another load of 80 lbs. located at 8" from the base of the T. If you wanted to find an equivalent force and couple acting on the beam, with which to replace these two loads acting on the T, how would you do it. Hint: you don't need formulas for this; you should have already learned how to do this in statics class.

Related to Help with beam deflection problem

1. How do I calculate the beam deflection?

To calculate the beam deflection, you will need to know the beam's material properties, dimensions, and the load applied to it. You can use the Euler-Bernoulli beam theory or the Timoshenko beam theory to determine the deflection at a specific point on the beam.

2. What is the formula for beam deflection?

The formula for beam deflection depends on the type of beam and the load applied. For a simple supported beam with a point load at the center, the formula is Δ = (PL^3)/(48EI). Here, P is the applied load, L is the length of the beam, E is the modulus of elasticity, and I is the second moment of area.

3. What is the difference between static and dynamic deflection?

Static deflection refers to the amount of deflection a beam experiences under a constant load, while dynamic deflection is the amount of deflection caused by a varying or moving load. Dynamic deflection calculations are more complex and require additional factors such as damping and natural frequency.

4. How does beam material affect deflection?

The material properties of the beam, such as modulus of elasticity and yield strength, can significantly affect the beam's deflection. Stiffer materials will have lower deflections, while more flexible materials will have higher deflections under the same load. The beam's material properties are essential considerations in beam design.

5. Can beam deflection be reduced?

Yes, beam deflection can be reduced by using stiffer materials, increasing the beam's cross-sectional area, or adding additional supports. Designing the beam with a lower load or redistributing the load can also reduce deflection. It is crucial to consider the structural requirements and limitations when trying to reduce beam deflection.