Help with Cauchy Integral Formula

In summary: I appreciate.In summary, to solve the integral ∫ [(5z² - 3z + 2)/(z-1)³] dz using Cauchy Integral Formula, you need to first decompose the function into partial fractions. Then, using the formula ∫F(z)/((z-z0))n, where n is the radius and f3(z) represents differentiating the function three times, you can find the value of the integral. In this case, since the function has a power of three in the denominator, n should be 2 instead of 3. Additionally, when given the information that the closed curve involves z=1, this means that the radius or distance from the origin is
Paradoxx
Use Cauchy Integral Formula to solve:

∫ [(5z² - 3z + 2)/(z-1)³] dz

C is any closed simple curve involving z=1. (z is a complex)

Thanks and sorry for my poor english, it's not my first language.

Physics news on Phys.org
Paradoxx said:
Use Cauchy Integral Formula to solve:

∫ [(5z² - 3z + 2)/(z-1)³] dz

C is any closed simple curve involving z=1. (z is a complex)

Thanks and sorry for my poor english, it's not my first language.

State the Cauchy Integral Formula. Then express your function in a simpler form using partial fractions. Do something.

Last edited:
Ok, I put it in partial fractions:

[(5z² - 3z + 2)/(z-1)³] = 5/(z-1) + 7/(z-1)² + 4/(z-1)³

But I have no idea how to solve it using Cauchy... can anybody at least give me a hint? Or try to explain something, a next step?
I've seen a few videos and examples around internet but when I try to solve it, I just can't apply... I really need help on this.

You were asked to "state the Cauchy Integral Formula". Are you saying you do not know what it is? Surely if your textbook refers to it, it must be stated in that chapter.

(You really don't need the full "integral formula". It is sufficient to know that the integral around two different paths is the same as long as there are no singularities in between the two paths. Here you can take the integral around a circle centered at 0, with radius 1.)

Like, with the partial fractions I will have now

i2π(f(5)) + (f(7)) + (f(4))

where the f(a) = (5z² - 3z + 2).

Is this that I have to do?:confused:

State the integral formula! Then you should know, what's to do. Of course you must not take any curve going through the singularity at [itex]z=1[/itex] as suggested by HallsofIvy, but any closed curve with this point in the interior of the area enclosed by it!

Sorry, I know I'm really dumb :cry:...but anyways

I have this Cauchy Int. Formula : ∫F(z)/((z-z0))n

My doubt is about this countour, it just says it's a simple closed one with z =1.In this case, do I have a circle(for exemple) centred in (0,0) with r=1?

Then my z0=1
and my n= 3
and my f(z)= 5z²-3z+2

Then I have that Cauchy In. Formula = [2πi /(3)!] f(3)(z0)

And f(3) means that I have to derivate f(z) 3 time, is it?

Last edited:
Paradoxx said:
Sorry, I know I'm really dumb :cry:...but anyways

I have this Cauchy Int. Formula : ∫F(z)/((z-z0))n

My doubt is about this countour, it just says it's a simple closed one with z =1.In this case, do I have a circle(for exemple) centred in (0,0) with r=1?

Then my z0=1
and my n= 3
and my f(z)= 5z²-3z+2

Then I have that Cauchy In. Formula = [2πi /(3)!] f(3)(z0)

And f(3) means that I have to derivate f(z) 3 time, is it?

You want a circle around the point z=1. That's the point (1,0) if you are looking at x,y coordinates in the complex plane. And the radius or shape doesn't really matter. It just has to wind around z=1. Apply the Cauchy Integral Formula to each term in your partial fractions form. Or if you can do it all at once like you are doing, but read the Formula statement more carefully if you think you differentiate three times. You don't.

Last edited:
Here's the formula I know for cauchy's integral

Where n is the radius, and f3(z) means I have to derivate F(z) 3times. At least it's what's on the only exercise we had in class...(f(z) was an exponencial at tha case)

Decomposing it in partial fraction doesn't help. If was a function type of 1/((z-a)(z-b)) or a quadratic function I would know...then I would appy another version of this formula.

But 1/(z-1)³ gives me fractions with power on the denominator, it doesn't help.

I have this specific function(that I posted) when you have powers on the denominator, but it demands de radius...

I'm stucked, someone explain how I must do it?!

Attachments

• cauchy general.png
    cauchy general.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 453
Paradoxx said:
Here's the formula I know for cauchy's integral

Where n is the radius, and f3(z) means I have to derivate F(z) 3times. At least it's what's on the only exercise we had in class...(f(z) was an exponencial at tha case)

Decomposing it in partial fraction doesn't help. If was a function type of 1/((z-a)(z-b)) or a quadratic function I would know...then I would appy another version of this formula.

But 1/(z-1)³ gives me fractions with power on the denominator, it doesn't help.

I have this specific function(that I posted) when you have powers on the denominator, but it demands de radius...I'm stucked, someone explain how I must do it?!

I can barely read the formula you've attached but it looks like you have ##(z-z_0)^{n+1}## in the denominator. So if you have ##(z-1)^3## then n+1=3 and you want to use n=2 in your formula. Not n=3. Why are you saying n is the radius? I don't see any radius in that formula.

If you click with the right button and open it in a new tab you'll see it clearly. Or click in the image, then will appear a black image when you can barely see it, just click in this black image and it will open a new tab with the formula.
Anyaway is just http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/2/1/1/211c06a5ce0bfe247bbe60d43dddfea1.png

n is the |z|, so n is the radius. In the example in class, that's the information given...

In the problem I wrote C is any closed simple curve involving z=1. Then I assumed |z| = 1, where z = x+ iy
so x² + y² = 1²

I thought it wrong?

Paradoxx said:
If you click with the right button and open it in a new tab you'll see it clearly. Or click in the image, then will appear a black image when you can barely see it, just click in this black image and it will open a new tab with the formula.
Anyaway is just http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/2/1/1/211c06a5ce0bfe247bbe60d43dddfea1.png

n is the |z|, so n is the radius. In the example in class, that's the information given...

In the problem I wrote C is any closed simple curve involving z=1. Then I assumed |z| = 1, where z = x+ iy
so x² + y² = 1²

I thought it wrong?

Thanks, that link works better. Your information is wrong. n isn't the radius. n+1 is supposed to be the power in the denominator. You don't need to know the radius. You just need to know the curve circles z=1. And x^2+y^2=1 doesn't do that. It goes through z=1. A better curve is (x-1)^2+y^2=1, that's actually a circle around z=1. z=1 is the center.

So n+1=3, n=2

And according to that formula I have to do f''(z0)

Where my F(z) = 5z²-3z+2
F''(z)=10

F''(z)[(2∏i)/2!] = ∫5z²-3z+2 / (x-1)³ = 10i∏

Is it?

Paradoxx said:
So n+1=3, n=2

And according to that formula I have to do f''(z0)

Where my F(z) = 5z²-3z+2
F''(z)=10

F''(z)[(2∏i)/2!] = ∫5z²-3z+2 / (x-1)³ = 10i∏

Is it?

Now you've got it.

Likes 1 person
Yay! Thanks...I've got to do lots of exercises now to practice.

Paradoxx said:
Yay! Thanks...I've got to do lots of exercises now to practice.

Great. One last thing to watch out for is that that formula also assumes the integration is going counterclockwise around z=1. If it were clockwise you'd have to reverse the sign.

Related to Help with Cauchy Integral Formula

1. What is the Cauchy Integral Formula?

The Cauchy Integral Formula is a fundamental theorem in complex analysis that allows for the evaluation of complex integrals by using the values of a function on the boundary of the region being integrated over. It was developed by Augustin-Louis Cauchy in the early 19th century.

2. How is the Cauchy Integral Formula used?

The Cauchy Integral Formula is used to evaluate complex integrals in regions where the function is analytic (meaning it has a derivative at every point). It is particularly useful in solving problems in physics and engineering that involve complex numbers, as well as in other areas of mathematics such as number theory and differential equations.

3. What are the conditions for the Cauchy Integral Formula to hold?

The Cauchy Integral Formula holds if the function being integrated is analytic in the region being integrated over, and if the boundary of the region is smooth and simple (meaning it does not intersect itself). Additionally, the formula only holds for closed curves, meaning that the start and end points of the curve must be the same.

4. Can the Cauchy Integral Formula be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, the Cauchy Integral Formula can be extended to higher dimensions through the use of Cauchy's Theorem. This theorem states that if a function is analytic in a region of n-dimensional space, then the integral of that function over any closed curve in that region is equal to 0.

5. What are some applications of the Cauchy Integral Formula?

The Cauchy Integral Formula has a wide range of applications in mathematics and physics. It is used to solve problems involving complex numbers in physics and engineering, to evaluate complex integrals in number theory and differential equations, and to prove theorems in complex analysis. It also has applications in signal processing, image processing, and computer graphics.