Cauchy's Integral Formula for a Fourth Order Singularity

In summary, Cauchy's integral formula is used to calculate the residue for the singularity in the equation e^{3z}dz/(z-ln2)^4. The attempt at a solution was to isolate the singularity and then use the g'(z) = 3e^{3z}, g''(z) = 9e^{3z}, and g'''(z) = 27e^{3z} to solve for the integral. The answer was 72 \pi i which is 6 times less than the answer in the book.
DavitosanX

Homework Statement

This problem is from Mary L. Boas - Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences, Chapter 14, section 3, problem 23.

[itex]\oint_C \frac{e^{3z}dz}{(z - ln2)^{4}}[/itex]

2. Homework Equations

Cauchy's integral formula

The Attempt at a Solution

First isolate the singularity:

[itex]\oint_C \frac{e^{3z}dz}{(z - ln2)^{4}}[/itex] (This should read something like (e^3z/1^4)/(z-ln2)^4) but I can't seem to do it in latex...)

Then let g(z) be:

[itex]g(z) = e^{3z}[/itex]

Since there's a fourth power in the singularity, g(z) must be derived three times:

[itex]g'(z) = 3e^{3z}[/itex]
[itex]g''(z) = 9e^{3z}[/itex]
[itex]g'''(z) = 27e^{3z}[/itex]

To solve the integral, we multiply g'''(z) by:

[itex] (2 \pi i)(27e^{(3)(ln2)}) = 432 \pi i[/itex]

But the book states that the answer is [itex]72 \pi i[/itex], which is exactly 6 times less than my answer. Where did I go wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
DavitosanX said:

Homework Statement

This problem is from Mary L. Boas - Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences, Chapter 14, section 3, problem 23.

[itex]\oint_C \frac{e^{3z}dz}{(z - ln2)^{4}}[/itex]

Homework Equations

Cauchy's integral formula

The Attempt at a Solution

First isolate the singularity:

[itex]\oint_C \frac{e^{3z}dz}{(z - ln2)^{4}}[/itex] (This should read something like (e^3z/1^4)/(z-ln2)^4) but I can't seem to do it in latex...)

Then let g(z) be:

[itex]g(z) = e^{3z}[/itex]

Since there's a fourth power in the singularity, g(z) must be derived three times:
You mean differentiated?

[itex]g'(z) = 3e^{3z}[/itex]
[itex]g''(z) = 9e^{3z}[/itex]
[itex]g'''(z) = 27e^{3z}[/itex]

To solve the integral, we multiply g'''(z) by:

[itex] (2 \pi i)(27e^{(3)(ln2)}) = 432 \pi i[/itex]

But the book states that the answer is [itex]72 \pi i[/itex], which is exactly 6 times less than my answer. Where did I go wrong?
To calculate the residue, you have to divide by 1/(n-1)! where n is the order of the pole. It's part of the limit formula for calculating the residue.

Likes DavitosanX
Thank you very much for your answer.

Related to Cauchy's Integral Formula for a Fourth Order Singularity

1. What is Cauchy's integral formula?

Cauchy's integral formula is a fundamental result in complex analysis that relates the values of a function at points inside a simple closed curve to the values of the function on the boundary of the curve. This formula is named after the French mathematician, Augustin-Louis Cauchy, who first stated and proved it in the early 19th century.

2. What is the significance of Cauchy's integral formula?

Cauchy's integral formula is significant because it allows us to calculate the values of a complex analytic function at any point inside a closed curve by simply knowing the values of the function on the boundary of the curve. This has many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields of mathematics.

3. How is Cauchy's integral formula derived?

Cauchy's integral formula can be derived from Cauchy's integral theorem and the Cauchy-Riemann equations. It involves breaking up a closed curve into small segments and using the Cauchy-Riemann equations to simplify the integral. The final result is the formula that relates the values of the function at points inside the curve to the values on the boundary of the curve.

4. Can Cauchy's integral formula be extended to functions with singularities?

Yes, Cauchy's integral formula can be extended to functions with singularities, or points where the function is not defined. This is known as the Cauchy integral theorem for functions with singularities, and it states that the integral of a function around a closed curve is equal to the sum of the residues of the function at its singular points inside the curve.

5. What are some applications of Cauchy's integral formula?

Cauchy's integral formula has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used to solve boundary value problems in partial differential equations, calculate the values of complex integrals, and to prove other important theorems in complex analysis. It also has applications in fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, and signal processing.