Prerequisites to Cauchy Integral Formula

In summary: So I make f(z) = ez/ (z-3) and w = 0.1) G = ℂ\{3}2) G does enclose a circle of radius 1 centered at 1 + i.3) w = 0, w is enclosed in a circle of radius 1 centered at 1 + i.Then I evaluate,I = 2πif(w) = 2πi(1/-3) = -2πi / 3
fishturtle1

Homework Statement

Calculate the integrals of the following functions on the given paths. Why does the choice of path change/not change each of the results?

(c) f(z) = exp(z) / z(z − 3)
https://www.physicsforums.com/file:///page1image10808
i. a circle of radius 4 centred at 0.

ii. a circle of radius 1 centred at 1 + i.

Homework Equations

(Cauchy’s Integral Formula). Suppose f is holomorphic in the region G and γ is a positively oriented, simple, closed, piecewise smooth path, such that w is inside γ and γ ∼G 0, then

2πif(w) = ∫f(z) / z-w dz

The Attempt at a Solution

I am confused whether or not I understand when to use Cauchy Integral Formula and when not to. I posted the definition that I'm working from in relevant equations.

i)

f(z) = ez / z(z-3)

1) I make my new f(z) = ez/z.
I say that my new f(z) is holomorphic in G, where G = ℂ\{0} because ez is entire and 1/z is holomorphic except at 0.

2) Then I checked if G enclosed 4eit (a circle centered at 0 with radius 4),
It does.

3) Then I check if 4eit contains w, where w = 3.
It does.

So after these 3 steps I believe I've satisfied all the conditions for the formula, and then I just plug in..

I = 2πif(w) = 2πi(e3/3) = (2πiee)/3
For the second one,

The path being integrated on is a circle of radius 1 centered at 1 + i.

I can't make w = 3 again, because then w won't be contained in the circle.

So I make f(z) = ez/ (z-3) and w = 0.

1) G = ℂ\{3}

2) G does enclose a circle of radius 1 centered at 1 + i.

3) w = 0, w is enclosed in a circle of radius 1 centered at 1 + i.

Then I evaluate, I = 2πif(w) = 2πi(1/-3) = -2πi / 3I really just want clarification that I'm satisfying the requirements to using the formula, because there were some harder examples in class where we had to cut the path into parts and before i try to do that i want to make sure I can do these simpler looking problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Apply the Cauchy Residue Theorem and figure out the winding numbers of the paths around singularities of the function.

Thanks for your response.

I'm not trying to be rude but for the textbook I'm using, I am 4 chapters behind the Cauchy Residue Theorem. Is there another way to approach this problem without that theorem?

I did try to fix my first problem. I realized that it has 2 points of discontinuity so I split the path of integration.

I split the path of the integral into two semicircles... I think it is called partial decomposition..

so here's my work:

##\int_{C[0,4]} \frac {\frac {e^z} {z}} {z-3} dz + \int_\gamma f(z)dz + \int_{-\gamma} f(z)dz + \int_{C[0,4]} \frac {\frac{e^z} {z-3}} {z} dz ##

= ##\int_{C[0,4]} \frac {\frac {e^z} {z}} {z-3} dz + \int_{C[0,4]} \frac {\frac{e^z} {z-3}} {z} dz ##

= ##2\pi i \left[ \frac {e^w} {w} \right] _{w=3} + 2\pi i \left[ \frac {e^w} {w-3} \right] _{w=0} ##

= ##2\pi i[\frac {e^3} {3} - \frac {1} {3}]##

I haven't figured out the second one but I'm pretty sure my initial solution is wrong because it has no points of singularity inside it but I will look more at youtube/textbook for now, I just wanted to post something in the mean time. Is this what you meant by looking at the singularities ?

fishturtle1 said:

Homework Statement

Calculate the integrals of the following functions on the given paths. Why does the choice of path change/not change each of the results?

(c) f(z) = exp(z) / z(z − 3)
https://www.physicsforums.com/file:///page1image10808
i. a circle of radius 4 centred at 0.

ii. a circle of radius 1 centred at 1 + i.

Homework Equations

(Cauchy’s Integral Formula). Suppose f is holomorphic in the region G and γ is a positively oriented, simple, closed, piecewise smooth path, such that w is inside γ and γ ∼G 0, then

2πif(w) = ∫f(z) / z-w dz

The Attempt at a Solution

I am confused whether or not I understand when to use Cauchy Integral Formula and when not to. I posted the definition that I'm working from in relevant equations.

i)

f(z) = ez / z(z-3)

1) I make my new f(z) = ez/z.
I say that my new f(z) is holomorphic in G, where G = ℂ\{0} because ez is entire and 1/z is holomorphic except at 0.

2) Then I checked if G enclosed 4eit (a circle centered at 0 with radius 4),
It does.

3) Then I check if 4eit contains w, where w = 3.
It does.

So after these 3 steps I believe I've satisfied all the conditions for the formula, and then I just plug in..

I = 2πif(w) = 2πi(e3/3) = (2πiee)/3
For the second one,

The path being integrated on is a circle of radius 1 centered at 1 + i.

I can't make w = 3 again, because then w won't be contained in the circle.

So I make f(z) = ez/ (z-3) and w = 0.

1) G = ℂ\{3}

2) G does enclose a circle of radius 1 centered at 1 + i.

3) w = 0, w is enclosed in a circle of radius 1 centered at 1 + i.

Then I evaluate, I = 2πif(w) = 2πi(1/-3) = -2πi / 3I really just want clarification that I'm satisfying the requirements to using the formula, because there were some harder examples in class where we had to cut the path into parts and before i try to do that i want to make sure I can do these simpler looking problems.
Expand 1/(z(z-3)) in partial fractions and then evaluate the two integrals separately.

Last edited by a moderator:
Expand 1/(z(z-3)) in partial fractions and then evaluate the two integrals separately.

I think I did that here:

##\int_{C[0,4]} \frac {\frac {e^z} {z}} {z-3} dz + \int_\gamma f(z)dz + \int_{-\gamma} f(z)dz + \int_{C[0,4]} \frac {\frac{e^z} {z-3}} {z} dz##

##\int_{C[0,4]} \frac {\frac {e^z} {z}} {z-3} dz + \int_{C[0,4]} \frac {\frac{e^z} {z-3}} {z} dz##

##2\pi i \left[ \frac {e^w} {w} \right] _{w=3} + 2\pi i \left[ \frac {e^w} {w-3} \right] _{w=0}##

##
2\pi i[\frac {e^3} {3} - \frac {1} {3}]##

but I'm not sure how to approach the second one because their are no singularities inside the path

1. What is the Cauchy Integral Formula?

The Cauchy Integral Formula is a fundamental theorem in complex analysis that states that if a function is analytic in a closed region and continuous on its boundary, then the value of the function at any point inside the region can be calculated by integrating the function along the boundary of the region.

2. What are the prerequisites for understanding the Cauchy Integral Formula?

The prerequisites for understanding the Cauchy Integral Formula include a solid understanding of complex numbers, complex functions, and contour integration. It is also helpful to have knowledge of basic calculus concepts such as derivatives and integrals.

3. Why is the Cauchy Integral Formula important?

The Cauchy Integral Formula is important because it provides a powerful tool for evaluating complex integrals. It is also a key result in complex analysis and has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering.

4. What is the difference between the Cauchy Integral Formula and the Cauchy Residue Theorem?

While both the Cauchy Integral Formula and the Cauchy Residue Theorem are fundamental theorems in complex analysis, they have different applications. The Cauchy Integral Formula is used to evaluate integrals along a closed curve, while the Cauchy Residue Theorem is used to evaluate integrals around singularities of a complex function.

5. How can the Cauchy Integral Formula be used in real-world applications?

The Cauchy Integral Formula has many real-world applications, especially in physics and engineering. It is used to solve problems in fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. It is also used in signal processing, image processing, and control theory.