Help with determining distance where electric potential is 0

In summary, the question asks for the distance between a +4.0nC charge and a point where the electric potential is zero. The solution involves using the equation V=Q/4pi(epsilon0)r and setting it equal to zero. By substituting in the values and solving for r, the distance can be determined.
Hannah7h
Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.
Question states 'Determine the distance from the +4.0nC charge to the point, along the straight line between the charges, where the electric potential is zero.'

upload_2016-5-29_16-5-50.png

This is as far as I've got: so I've used V=Q/4pi(epsilon0)r and then set it so V1+V2=0 (to find the point where the resultant electric potential is zero). Then the 4pi(epsilon0) can just be ignored as it is a constant, therefore V1=Q1/R1 and then V2=Q2/R2 therefore Q1/R1 + Q2/R2 = 0 so then (substituting in the values), 4x10^-9/r - 8x10^-9/ (80x10^-3) -r = 0 AND now I'm not sure where to go from this point

Thank you for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
do the sum between fractions and solve the equation in ##r## ...

Ssnow said:

yeah that's the bit I can't seem to do my answer keeps coming out at 7000

Ssnow said:

No worries I've got it now thanks!

Related to Help with determining distance where electric potential is 0

What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the amount of electric potential energy per unit charge at a given point in an electric field.

Why is it important to determine the distance where electric potential is 0?

Knowing the distance where electric potential is 0 is important for understanding the behavior of electric fields and for designing and operating electrical systems.

How is the distance where electric potential is 0 calculated?

The distance where electric potential is 0 can be calculated using the equation V = kQ/r, where V is the potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge, and r is the distance.

What factors can affect the distance where electric potential is 0?

The distance where electric potential is 0 can be affected by the magnitude and distribution of charges, the dielectric constant of the material, and the presence of other electric fields.

What are some applications of determining the distance where electric potential is 0?

Some applications include designing safe and efficient electrical systems, calculating the strength and direction of electric fields, and understanding the behavior of charged particles in the field.